Independence Earn Away Point Versus Atlanta
Lawrenceville (GA) - The Charlotte Independence, a United Soccer League professional soccer team, battled Atlanta United 2 to a 1-1 draw on Wednesday night. The Independence struck early when forward Eamon Zayed scored off a Jorge Herrera corner kick in the sixth minute.
In the 79th minute Atlanta midfielder Shawn Nicklaw lined up a shot from distance which deflected off the post, hitting diving Independence goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra, and going in for an own goal. Unfortunate for Dykstra, he match his season-high five saves this season, none bigger than a one-v-one save against Atlanta midfielder José Hernández in second-half stoppage time.
Playing their last four games on the road, the Independence have collected seven points with two wins and a draw. The Independence will play a second game this week, returning home to the Sportsplex at Matthews to take on Southern Derby Rivals Charleston Battery. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 PM ET with firework following the conclusion of the match.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from June 13, 2018
- FCC scores twice to earn a point, remain in first place in USL's Eastern Conference - FC Cincinnati
- Steel FC Battles Back for Draw at Eastern Conference Leaders - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Atlanta United 2 Draw 1-1 with Charlotte Independence - Atlanta United 2
- Independence Earn Away Point Versus Atlanta - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Wins Big over Ottawa Fury FC in 4-2 Midweek Victory - North Carolina FC
- Fury FC Drop 4-2 Result in North Carolina Despite Resilient Performance - Ottawa Fury FC
- Republic FC Invites Fans to Watch World Cup Games at the Team Store - Sacramento Republic FC
- Lights FC Looks to Build on Positive Momentum in First Visit to Face Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Moloto Remembers 2010 World Cup in South Africa - Nashville SC
- USL Discipline Report - Week 14 - USL
- Former No. 1 Overall MLS SuperDraft Pick Omar Salgado Joins Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- United Bid Selected to Host the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Cincinnati Among Finalist Cities - FC Cincinnati
- Independence Expected to Break Attendance Record with Stadium Expansion - Charlotte Independence
- Lights FC Partners with William Hill Sports Book - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Kevin Nagle's Statement on the United 2026 World Cup Announcement - Sacramento Republic FC
- Popovic Named Coach of the Month for May in USL - Ottawa Fury FC
- Ottawa's Popovic Named USL Coach of the Month - USL
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Sacramento Republic FC | June 13, 2018 | Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Marcel Schafer Departs Rowdies for VFL Wolfsburg Return - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Executives Praise World Cup Decision - USL
- Putting Canada on the Map - Ottawa Fury FC
- Strong Second Half Lifts Penn FC Past Richmond for Second Straight Win - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Independence Stories
- Mohamed Salah and Kay Voser Had a Good Thing Going
- Rookie's Goal Rescues Point in Front of Record Crowd
- Independence Legend, MLS Standout Enzo Martinez to be Recognized Saturday
- Independence Earn Away Point Versus Atlanta
- Independence Expected to Break Attendance Record with Stadium Expansion