Independence Earn Away Point Versus Atlanta
Lawrenceville (GA) - The Charlotte Independence, a United Soccer League professional soccer team, battled Atlanta United 2 to a 1-1 draw on Wednesday night. The Independence struck early when forward Eamon Zayed scored off a Jorge Herrera corner kick in the sixth minute.
In the 79th minute Atlanta midfielder Shawn Nicklaw lined up a shot from distance which deflected off the post, hitting diving Independence goalkeeper Andrew Dykstra, and going in for an own goal. Unfortunate for Dykstra, he match his season-high five saves this season, none bigger than a one-v-one save against Atlanta midfielder José Hernández in second-half stoppage time.
Playing their last four games on the road, the Independence have collected seven points with two wins and a draw. The Independence will play a second game this week, returning home to the Sportsplex at Matthews to take on Southern Derby Rivals Charleston Battery. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30 PM ET with firework following the conclusion of the match.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from June 13, 2018
- FCC scores twice to earn a point, remain in first place in USL's Eastern Conference - FC Cincinnati
- Steel FC Battles Back for Draw at Eastern Conference Leaders - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Atlanta United 2 Draw 1-1 with Charlotte Independence - Atlanta United 2
- Independence Earn Away Point Versus Atlanta - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Wins Big over Ottawa Fury FC in 4-2 Midweek Victory - North Carolina FC
- Fury FC Drop 4-2 Result in North Carolina Despite Resilient Performance - Ottawa Fury FC
- Republic FC Invites Fans to Watch World Cup Games at the Team Store - Sacramento Republic FC
- Lights FC Looks to Build on Positive Momentum in First Visit to Face Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Moloto Remembers 2010 World Cup in South Africa - Nashville SC
- USL Discipline Report - Week 14 - USL
- Former No. 1 Overall MLS SuperDraft Pick Omar Salgado Joins Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- United Bid Selected to Host the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Cincinnati Among Finalist Cities - FC Cincinnati
- Independence Expected to Break Attendance Record with Stadium Expansion - Charlotte Independence
- Lights FC Partners with William Hill Sports Book - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Kevin Nagle's Statement on the United 2026 World Cup Announcement - Sacramento Republic FC
- Popovic Named Coach of the Month for May in USL - Ottawa Fury FC
- Ottawa's Popovic Named USL Coach of the Month - USL
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Sacramento Republic FC | June 13, 2018 | Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Marcel Schafer Departs Rowdies for VFL Wolfsburg Return - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Executives Praise World Cup Decision - USL
- Putting Canada on the Map - Ottawa Fury FC
- Strong Second Half Lifts Penn FC Past Richmond for Second Straight Win - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.