Former No. 1 Overall MLS SuperDraft Pick Omar Salgado Joins Lights FC
LAS VEGAS - A big presence in the front of the attack is joining the Las Vegas Lights FC roster, as former No. 1 overall MLS SuperDraft pick Omar Salgado is set to come aboard on loan from El Paso USL.
On Wednesday, Salgado - an El Paso, Texas, native - was announced as the first signee in the history of the expansion club, which will begin play in the United Soccer League in 2019. He comes to Las Vegas on loan for the remainder of the 2018 season, and will be eligible to play for the club following the July 10 opening of the U.S. Soccer Federation's Summer Transfer Window.
He is the second former No. 1 overall MLS SuperDraft pick to join Lights FC this season, along with midfielder Freddy Adu, who scored his first goal with the club on June 2 in a 4-1 victory over Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC. They're joined by the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft, Carlos Alvarez, who currently leads Lights FC in goals (4) and assists (3) this season.
"Omar is a very talented player, both in the pitch and outside the pitch - Physically, technically, tactically, with very good concepts and experience," Lights FC Technical Director Chelís said. "He knows how to take advantage of his physicality and is versatile - he can play two or three positions.
"Outside of the pitch, his profile fits very well with our philosophy, because he has big dreams, he is a bridge between the Mexican and American styles, because he has grown in this culture and he knows American football. I'm sure fans will enjoy watching him in the pitch. He is not a common player."
As for the rest of the 2018 season, Salgado brings depth to the front of Lights FC's surging offensive attack, along with Mexican striker Daniel Guzmán Jr., who signed last month and is also is able to play for the club after July 10.
Salgado left El Paso at the age of 15 to join LigaMX giant Chivas, where he scored seven goals in 10 appearances and was named Player of the Tournament in South America's U-17 Copa Liberatores competition. He then left Chivas to accept a call-up to the United States U-20 men's national team, and has also represented the U.S. at the U-17, U-18 and U-23 levels.
As a professional in the U.S., he was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft by Vancouver Whitecaps FC after training with English Premier League clubs Everton FC and Fulham FC. He's also spent time as a professional with Tigres UANL of LigaMX
Salgado will begin training full-time this week with Lights FC, who is in the midst of a crucial 2-match week, culminating Saturday night at 8 p.m. at Cashman Field, when the club welcomes in Seattle Sounders 2. Tickets for Saturday's match are available, starting at just $15, at LightsFC.com.
LIGHTS FC 2018 TICKET INFO
Single-game tickets for all USL regular season matches are on sale, starting at just $15. Purchase today by visiting LightsFC.com/SingleTix or by calling 702.728.GOAL (4625) during regular business hours. Tickets are also available for purchase at all La Bonita Supermarket locations in the Las Vegas valley.
Lights FC 2018 season tickets are also still on sale, starting at just $100 for the remaining 10 home-match schedule. Tickets for groups of 10 or more are also now on sale, starting at just $18 per ticket, with each ticket purchased including a free Lights FC scarf (valued at $20). For more ticketing inquiries, visit LightsFC.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 13, 2018
- FCC scores twice to earn a point, remain in first place in USL's Eastern Conference - FC Cincinnati
- Steel FC Battles Back for Draw at Eastern Conference Leaders - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Atlanta United 2 Draw 1-1 with Charlotte Independence - Atlanta United 2
- Independence Earn Away Point Versus Atlanta - Charlotte Independence
- North Carolina FC Wins Big over Ottawa Fury FC in 4-2 Midweek Victory - North Carolina FC
- Fury FC Drop 4-2 Result in North Carolina Despite Resilient Performance - Ottawa Fury FC
- Republic FC Invites Fans to Watch World Cup Games at the Team Store - Sacramento Republic FC
- Lights FC Looks to Build on Positive Momentum in First Visit to Face Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Moloto Remembers 2010 World Cup in South Africa - Nashville SC
- USL Discipline Report - Week 14 - USL
- Former No. 1 Overall MLS SuperDraft Pick Omar Salgado Joins Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- United Bid Selected to Host the 2026 FIFA World Cup, Cincinnati Among Finalist Cities - FC Cincinnati
- Independence Expected to Break Attendance Record with Stadium Expansion - Charlotte Independence
- Lights FC Partners with William Hill Sports Book - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Kevin Nagle's Statement on the United 2026 World Cup Announcement - Sacramento Republic FC
- Popovic Named Coach of the Month for May in USL - Ottawa Fury FC
- Ottawa's Popovic Named USL Coach of the Month - USL
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Sacramento Republic FC | June 13, 2018 | Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC
- Marcel Schafer Departs Rowdies for VFL Wolfsburg Return - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- USL Executives Praise World Cup Decision - USL
- Putting Canada on the Map - Ottawa Fury FC
- Strong Second Half Lifts Penn FC Past Richmond for Second Straight Win - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Lights FC Stories
- Record-Breaking Crowd Watches Silver State Cup Match at Cashman
- Match Preview vs. In-State Rival
- Lights FC Close in on Playoff Spot with 4-2 Win over San Antonio
- Match Preview vs. San Antonio FC
- Lights FC Win 3-1 on the Road with Huge Second Half in Colorado Springs