South Bay Falls to Stars in Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY, UT - The South Bay Lakers put up a tough fight but ultimately lost to the Salt Lake City Stars, 134-128, on Monday night. Devontae Cacok and David Stockton each tallied a double-double for South Bay (17-23), but the Lakers couldn't hold on in the fourth quarter. Justin Wright-Foreman scored a game-high 31 points to give the Stars (28-12) the victory.
The two teams went back and forth in the first quarter, with Salt Lake City holding a slight edge, 33-32, through the first quarter. Rayjon Tucker started with nine points to lead the Stars, while Kostas Antetokounmpo posted eight points in the opening frame to lead the Lakers. South Bay pulled away in the second behind 10 points from Pierre Jackson to take a 69-64 halftime lead. The Lakers finished with a season-best 21 assists in the first half, including 10 from Stockton.
South Bay took a 100-91 lead into the final frame, as Stockton scored 11 points in the third quarter. Salt Lake City broke free in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Lakers by 15 points, and Wright-Foreman led the way with 14 points in the closing period.
Wright-Foreman's strong scoring night paced the Stars and Tucker finished with 22 points in his first game of the season with Salt Lake City. Juwan Morgan had 20 points and Trevon Bluiett led the second unit with 17 points. Isaac Haas (14 points) and Mike Scott (11 points) also scored in double figures.
Double-doubles from Cacok (20 points, 16 rebounds) and Stockton (24 points, 11 assists, three steals) led South Bay, while Talen Horton-Tucker finished with 22 points. Antetokounmpo had 16 points and seven rebounds and Jackson finished with 15 points. Javan Felix scored 13 points with seven assists off the bench and Reggie Hearn tallied 11 points and eight rebounds.
South Bay returns home to host the Stockton Kings on Wednesday, March 4 at 7:00pm from the UCLA Health Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 3, 2020
- BayHawks Falter in Second Half, Fall 116-117 to Long Island - Erie BayHawks
- Long Island Nets to Host Third-Annual Women's Empowerment Game, Presented by National Grid, this Wednesday, March 4 - Long Island Nets
- NBA G League News and Notes - March 3 - G League
- Detroit Pistons Sign Donta Hall to Second 10-Day Contract - Grand Rapids Drive
- Hornets Sign Joe Chealey to Second 10-Day Contract - Greensboro Swarm
- Stars Defeat Lakers at Vivint Smart Home Arena - Salt Lake City Stars
- South Bay Falls to Stars in Salt Lake City - South Bay Lakers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.