BayHawks Falter in Second Half, Fall 116-117 to Long Island
ERIE, PA - After leading for nearly 30-straight minutes, spanning three quarters, a second-half slump from the Erie BayHawks led to a 116-117 defeat against Long Island on Tuesday evening.
Leading 89-69 with 5:03 left in the third, Long Island (18-21) started to chip away at Erie's lead, outscoring the BayHawks 37-16 over an 11-minute stretch. With 6:11 left in regulation, Jaylen Hands connected on a three-pointer near the top of the arc to give Long Island its first lead (106-105) since the start of the second quarter.
Hands provided a big spark off the bench for the Nets, contributing 15 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals in 25 minutes as a reserve.
From there, a back-and-forth game ensued, coming down to the final seconds. Tony Carr gave Erie (11-29) a two-point lead with 26.4 seconds remaining, finishing a driving lay-up off the right side of the baseline. The former Penn State Nittany Lion finished the contest with eight points, four assists and three rebounds in 30 minutes.
It was Devin Cannady's three-pointer with 17.5 seconds left, however, that gave Long Island the victory. Coming off a screen on the right wing, Cannady shedded his defender and knocked down a 26-footer to put the Nets ahead 116-117. Cannady led his team on the evening, registering a game-high 26 points, a game-high four steals and two rebounds in 30 minutes.
Despite the loss, BayHawks forward Zylan Cheatham notched his 19th double-double of the season, recording 22 points, a game-high 11 rebounds, five assists and two blocks in 35 minutes. Two-way guard Josh Gray added 23 points, a game-high seven assists and seven rebounds in 36 minutes.
Following tonight's contest, Erie hosts the Greensboro Swarm on Friday (March 6) and the Canton Charge on Saturday (March 7), for the team's first back-to-back since Dec. 27-28. Tip is set for 7 p.m. for both contests.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 3, 2020
- BayHawks Falter in Second Half, Fall 116-117 to Long Island - Erie BayHawks
- Long Island Nets to Host Third-Annual Women's Empowerment Game, Presented by National Grid, this Wednesday, March 4 - Long Island Nets
- NBA G League News and Notes - March 3 - G League
- Detroit Pistons Sign Donta Hall to Second 10-Day Contract - Grand Rapids Drive
- Hornets Sign Joe Chealey to Second 10-Day Contract - Greensboro Swarm
- Stars Defeat Lakers at Vivint Smart Home Arena - Salt Lake City Stars
- South Bay Falls to Stars in Salt Lake City - South Bay Lakers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.