Hornets Sign Joe Chealey to Second 10-Day Contract
Charlotte Hornets President of Basketball Operations & General Manager Mitch Kupchak announced today that the team has signed guard Joe Chealey to a second 10-day contract. Chealey signed his first 10-day contract with the Hornets on February 21.
Undrafted in the 2018 NBA Draft, Chealey signed with the Charlotte Hornets and was converted to a two-way contract on Oct. 13, 2018. After becoming a free agent on July 1, 2019, Chealey returned to the Hornets but was later waived on Oct. 13. He has spent the 2019-20 season with the Greensboro Swarm of the NBA G League.
The 6-3 guard has appeared in two games with the Hornets and has made 34 appearances with the Swarm this season. Chealey is averaging 11.3 points, 4.5 assists, and 3.2 rebounds in 28.3 minutes per game in the G League. In the 2018-19 season, he appeared in 43 games with Greensboro averaging 16.3 points, 5.4 assists and 3.6 rebounds in 31.3 minutes while on a two-way contract with the Hornets.
A native of Orlando, Florida, Chealey was a four-year collegiate player at the College of Charleston in South Carolina (2013-2018) and had career averages of 14.2 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 31.1 minutes per game. As a junior, he was named to the First-team ALL-CAA and was seventh in the conference in scoring (18.0) and fifth in assists. (3.7).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 3, 2020
- BayHawks Falter in Second Half, Fall 116-117 to Long Island - Erie BayHawks
- Long Island Nets to Host Third-Annual Women's Empowerment Game, Presented by National Grid, this Wednesday, March 4 - Long Island Nets
- NBA G League News and Notes - March 3 - G League
- Detroit Pistons Sign Donta Hall to Second 10-Day Contract - Grand Rapids Drive
- Hornets Sign Joe Chealey to Second 10-Day Contract - Greensboro Swarm
- Stars Defeat Lakers at Vivint Smart Home Arena - Salt Lake City Stars
- South Bay Falls to Stars in Salt Lake City - South Bay Lakers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greensboro Swarm Stories
- The Fieldhouse to Serve as Early Voting Site as Part of Hornets Sports & Entertainment's "Swarm the Polls" Campaign
- Swarm to Not Extend Contract of Head Coach Joe Wolf
- Greensboro Swarm Statement
- Swarm, Allegacy Federal Credit Union Make Donation to Junior Achievement of the Triad
- Charlotte Hornets Foundation Announces Multi-Faceted Plan to Assist with COVID-19 Relief