Sounders FC Midfielder Freddie Ljungberg Makes MLS Best XI
RENTON, WASH. - Seattle Sounders FC midfielder Freddie Ljungberg has been named to the 2009 MLS Best XI, it was announced today by Commissioner Don Garber. The Best XI recognizes the League's top 11 players at each position on the field - one goalkeeper, three defenders, five midfielders and two forwards.
Garber disclosed the Best XI during his annual State of the League address. Six members of the 2009 Best XI are prior recipients of the honor, while Ljungberg was one of five named to the squad for the first time.
Ljungberg, the former Sweden international playing his first season in MLS, made a remarkable recovery from offseason hip surgery and led a dynamic Seattle offense with a team high nine assists, including a league high five game-winning assists, and had two goals in MLS play. He had four assists in the final two regular season games en route to an MLS Cup playoff birth.
Ljungberg was named an MLS All-Star, was MLS Player of the Month for October and was a finalist for the MLS Newcomer of the Year Award.
The Best XI members received the most votes from the media, MLS players and MLS coaches and general managers.
This season 10 clubs are represented on the Best XI. Houston is the only club with two representatives. Of the top 11 players, 10 were members of the 2009 MLS All-Star team, and seven are finalists for the League's top end-of-season awards. Nine members of the Best XI have senior national team appearances.
Below is a breakdown of the MLS Best XI by position and in alphabetical order:
2009 MLS Best XI:
GOALKEEPER (1): Zach Thornton (Chivas USA)
DEFENDERS (3): Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Wilman Conde (Chicago Fire), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew)
MIDFIELDERS (5): Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Shalrie Joseph (New England Revolution), Freddie Ljungberg (Seattle Sounders FC)
FORWARDS (2): Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2009
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Chivas Usa To Hold Youth Team Tryouts This Friday In Bell Gardens - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Defender Wilman Conde Named To 2009 Major League Soccer Best XI Squad - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA's Zach Thornton Named To Major League Soccer's 2009 Best XI - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo's Cameron, Holden Named To MLS Best XI - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Forward Conor Casey Named To 2009 MLS Best XI - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Midfielder Freddie Ljungberg Makes MLS Best XI - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution's Joseph Earns MLS Best XI Honors - New England Revolution
- De Rosario Named To MLS Best XI - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Announces 2009 Best XI - MLS
- FC Dallas Forward Jeff Cunningham Named 2009 MLS Best XI - FC Dallas
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Kansas City Wizards Grounds Crew Earns Field Of The Year Honor - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls To Participate In 2010 Football World Series - New York Red Bulls
- MLS W.O.R.K.S. To Host Two Community Service Projects In Seattle - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Following 4-2 Victory in Chicago, Sounders FC Begins Season 3-0-0 for the First Time Since 2009
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Chicago Fire - March 16, 2019
- Sounders FC Goalkeeper Trey Muse Called into U.S. U-20 Men's National Team
- Lodeiro and Svensson Called into International Duty
- Sounders FC Announces 2019 Matchday Themes