Real Salt Lake Weekly Update
Real Salt Lake to Play for First-Ever MLS Cup Title Sunday against L.A. Galaxy
One season after seeing its title dreams crash in the Conference Championship round, Real Salt Lake turned the tables last Saturday night by claiming the Eastern Conference Championship over the Chicago Fire in penalty kicks, setting up the Utah side's first-ever appearance in an MLS Cup Final. Real Salt Lake will take on the Western Conference champion Los Angeles Galaxy in MLS Cup 2009 this Sunday, November 22, on the Xbox Pitch at Qwest Field, with the victor becoming the first team to lift the new Phillip F. Anschutz Trophy bestowed to the League's top team. National television coverage on ESPN will begin at 6:30 p.m. MT, and the match will also be broadcast live on RSL's official radio partners - KALL 700 Sports (America First Credit Union Pre-Match Report begins at 5:00 p.m.) and ESPN Deportes 1600-AM.
Five's are wild for Real Salt Lake when it comes to the Galaxy, as the Utah squad is now 5-5-5 in its five-year history against the original MLS side from the "City of Angels." Real Salt Lake was on the better end of this year's series with the Galaxy, going 1-0-1 in their two meetings, both of which were contested during the first half of the season.
The first match-up came back on May 6 at Rio Tinto Stadium, a game in which it appeared Robbie Findley's 34th minute goal would stand tall and give the home side the full three points. However, the wildest finish in the stadium's brief history would unfold during second half stoppage time, when offsetting penalty kick conversions by Landon Donovan (91+') and Will Johnson (92+') would be followed by Mike Magee's equalizer on the final play of the match (94+'), resulting in a frustrating 2-2 draw - and three stoppage time tallies for just the second time in MLS history. The Western Conference foes would meet little more than a month later on June 13 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., where Yura Movsisyan pleased his hometown fans just 13 minutes in and Nat Borchers notched early in the second half to give RSL some breathing room en route to a 2-0 victory - RSL's first of just two road triumphs in regular season play in 2009.
In coincidental fashion, Real Salt Lake will be ending its 2009 season this Sunday night where it began back on March 28, when the Utah side made its Qwest Field debut against Seattle Sounders FC. On that night, a raucous sellout crowd of 28,548 would see the Sounders FC post a goal on either side of the halftime break to notch a 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake. The Claret-and-Cobalt headed back to Washington State one month later to take on Sounders FC in a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup qualifying match at the Starfire Sports Complex in suburban Tukwila, in which RSL fell 1-4 to the eventual tournament winner.
Remaining MLS Cup 2009 Tickets Going Fast, but Still Available
Due to overwhelming demand, MLS and Qwest Field announced last Saturday that 6,000 additional seats have been opened up to this Sunday's MLS Cup 2009, which had previously sold out all 36,000 available tickets. Included in these additional 6,000 upper level tickets will include seats in a section dedicated for Real Salt Lake supporters (Section 338), so fans wanting to grab these seats [limited to four (4) per purchase] are encouraged to do so as soon as possible by following these instructions:
* Click on the following link: https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/go.htmI?lEN&tseattlemls&o251&g143
* Enter the "Special Offer Code": SEAMLSCUP
* Create an account (or sign in using an existing Sounders FC group account)
* After creating an account you will be able to purchase tickets in the corresponding Supporters Section. A fee of $1.25 per ticket will be applied to the final cost (no other service fees) and all tickets will be printed by the buyer at home. You will not receive a hard ticket nor will you need to go to will call.
Fans unable to purchase their seats over the computer can also try to obtain tickets via Ticketmaster over the phone by calling 1-800-745-3000.
RSL Supporters Groups Arranging Bus Trip for Sunday's MLS Cup Showdown in Seattle
Fans interested in seeing Real Salt Lake participate in its first MLS Cup in person now have a cost-effective option, as the club's supporters groups are arranging a round-trip bus and ticket package for Sunday's big showdown against the Galaxy. For $120, fans will receive an upper level ticket in the RSL Supporters Section at Qwest Field and round-trip charter bus transportation (lodging accommodations for Saturday night will not be included). Participating fans will gather at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday morning at 5:30 a.m. to prepare for a 6:00 a.m.-sharp departure for downtown Seattle, while Sunday's night's return trip to Utah will take off from Qwest Field at midnight following the match.
As of now, only two buses of 56 riders each will be taking off for Seattle, and reservations will be made on a first-come, first-served basis. The deadline to register for this weekend's Supporters bus trip is Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. MT, and payment will be accepted at the RSL Front Office at Rio Tinto Stadium from 9:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday - cash and check will be the only accepted forms of payment. Fans with any questions regarding the bus trip are encouraged to call 801-727-2727 for further details.
Vote Clint Mathis' Blast for AT&T Goal of the Year Award by Tuesday Night
Real Salt Lake M/F Clint Mathis is one of 10 finalists for the 2009 AT&T Goal of the Year honor - and you, the fans, can help "Cleetus" claim this season's award by voting before Tuesday's 10:00 p.m. MT deadline. Mathis - who earned the award in 2001 as a member of the MetroStars - tallied one of the front-runners for this season's Goal of the Year back on April 25 at Rio Tinto Stadium, when he connected on a Javier Morales corner kick with a left-footed laser of a side-volley that found the upper left 90 in a 6-0 drubbing of New England. Fans helped MF Will Johnson earn the award last season, so those that want to help keep the Goal of the Year honor in RSL's grasp are asked to head over to www.mlsnet.com and click on the "AT&T Goal of the Year " banner by the time polls close Tuesday night, as the winner will be announced by MLS on Wednesday afternoon.
Nick Rimando to Host Chat on RSL's Official Facebook Page Tuesday at 10:00 a.m.
Real Salt Lake's Official Facebook Page is gaining momentum along with the team, and the site will feature perhaps RSL's hottest player on Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. MT, when GK Nick Rimando will hop online to answer questions for the more than 7,700 people that have become official Facebook fans of Utah's MLS side. RSL faithful that want to have their questions answered by Rimando - and find out details on how to purchase a limited edition "Nick Is My Homeboy" t-shirt in advance of Sunday's MLS Cup - can click here to join the growing list of official friends of RSL.
Ironically, Real Salt Lake's number of fans leapfrogged both the Chicago Fire and the Los Angeles Galaxy late last week to become the third most populous official Facebook site for MLS teams. After Andy Williams' successful fan chat last Friday prior to the win against Chicago, Real Salt Lake's Facebook page will again feature an on-site player chat from Seattle this Saturday on the eve of MLS Cup... player information and date/time details will be blasted out to RSL's fans by Thursday afternoon.
RSL Team Store Wholly Committed to Half-off Special Leading up to MLS Cup!
These are heady times for the Real Salt Lake faithful, as we're sure everyone in "RSL Nation" will be sporting their Claret-and-Cobalt all week long leading up to Sunday's MLS Cup in Seattle. And whether you're looking to buy your first piece of RSL merchandise or wanting to update your RSL wardrobe with the latest and greatest garb, there's never been a better time to head over to the Real Salt Lake Team Store at Rio Tinto Stadium, which is continuing its pledge to offer 50% off on all items through the end of its playoff run! To take advantage of this awesome playoff deal and to see the full range of RSL gear, drop by the RSL Team Store during regular business hours: Monday-Saturday from 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. MT. For more information on the Real Salt Lake Team Store call the RSL Merchandise Hotline at 801-727-2888.
Don't Wait 'til Next Year... 2010 Real Salt Lake Season Ticket Packages on Sale Now
Real Salt Lake has unveiled its 2010 Season Ticket Package, and whether you're an RSL "Fan for Life" or are looking to purchase season seats for the first time, Real Salt Lake has what you are looking for! Prices for 2010 RSL Season Tickets will offer at least a 20% discount over day-of-game pricing in all general seating areas, with packages starting as low as $275. The 2010 RSL Season Ticket Package will include tickets to 15 MLS regular season contests and five (5) ticket voucher credits for designated exhibition and cup competitions in addition to numerous additional benefits, including:
* Discounted rates on on-site parking at Rio Tinto Stadium
* 25% off all items at the RSL Team Store
* An invitation to the annual "Meet the Team Day" event
* The annual Season Ticket Holder gift (TBD)
* Pre-sale access for all non-RSL events at Rio Tinto Stadium
* Season Ticket Holder rate on additional RSL tickets
* Personal Account Manager Concierge Service and STH Hotline access
* Special Season Ticket e-Newsletter, featuring exclusive team-focused content
Fans looking to purchase new RSL Season Ticket packages can call 801-727-2700 to lock in their seats for the Claret-and-Cobalt's sixth MLS season. To see the full range of 2010 Season Ticket package options and benefits, click here or visit www.RealSaltLake.com or www.RioTintoStadium.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2009
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Chivas Usa To Hold Youth Team Tryouts This Friday In Bell Gardens - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Defender Wilman Conde Named To 2009 Major League Soccer Best XI Squad - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA's Zach Thornton Named To Major League Soccer's 2009 Best XI - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo's Cameron, Holden Named To MLS Best XI - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Forward Conor Casey Named To 2009 MLS Best XI - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Midfielder Freddie Ljungberg Makes MLS Best XI - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution's Joseph Earns MLS Best XI Honors - New England Revolution
- De Rosario Named To MLS Best XI - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Announces 2009 Best XI - MLS
- FC Dallas Forward Jeff Cunningham Named 2009 MLS Best XI - FC Dallas
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Kansas City Wizards Grounds Crew Earns Field Of The Year Honor - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls To Participate In 2010 Football World Series - New York Red Bulls
- MLS W.O.R.K.S. To Host Two Community Service Projects In Seattle - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- This Week at RSL
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Portland Timbers in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Real Salt Lake Tops Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 on Decision Day
- Real Salt Lake Visits Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Final Match of 2019 Regular Season
- Real Salt Lake Quintet Invited to U.S. U-23 National Team Camp