Chicago Fire Defender Wilman Conde Named To 2009 Major League Soccer Best XI Squad
CHICAGO, IL (Nov. 16, 2009) - Chicago Fire 2009 Defender of the Year, Wilman Conde, was today announced as one of the 2009 Major League Soccer Best XI honorees. MLS Commissioner Don Garber today announced the 2009 Best XI squad during his annual State of the League address. The Best XI recognizes the League's top 11 players at each position on the field - one goalkeeper, three defenders, five midfielders and two forwards. Six members of the 2009 Best XI are prior recipients of the honor, while five have been named to the squad for the first time.
The Best XI members received the most votes from the media, MLS players and MLS coaches and general managers.
Conde has been an imposing presence for Chicago since entering the League in 2007. Conde played 19 games for the Chicago Fire and was a key contributor to a team that finished second in the Eastern Conference. The 27-year-old Colombian defender was part of a defense that allowed just 34 goals in 30 games. A 2009 MLS All-Star First XI selection, Conde added two goals and two assists from his position in central defense this season. This is the first Best XI honor for Conde.
The Volkswagen MLS MVP will be awarded Thursday, Nov. 19. ESPNews will broadcast the award ceremony. Below is a breakdown of the MLS Best XI by position and in alphabetical order:
2009 MLS Best XI:
GOALKEEPER (1): Zach Thornton (Chivas USA)
DEFENDERS (3): Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Wilman Conde (Chicago Fire), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew)
MIDFIELDERS (5): Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Shalrie Joseph (New England Revolution), Freddie Ljungberg (Seattle Sounders FC)
FORWARDS (2): Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2009
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Chivas Usa To Hold Youth Team Tryouts This Friday In Bell Gardens - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Defender Wilman Conde Named To 2009 Major League Soccer Best XI Squad - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA's Zach Thornton Named To Major League Soccer's 2009 Best XI - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo's Cameron, Holden Named To MLS Best XI - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Forward Conor Casey Named To 2009 MLS Best XI - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Midfielder Freddie Ljungberg Makes MLS Best XI - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution's Joseph Earns MLS Best XI Honors - New England Revolution
- De Rosario Named To MLS Best XI - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Announces 2009 Best XI - MLS
- FC Dallas Forward Jeff Cunningham Named 2009 MLS Best XI - FC Dallas
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Kansas City Wizards Grounds Crew Earns Field Of The Year Honor - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls To Participate In 2010 Football World Series - New York Red Bulls
- MLS W.O.R.K.S. To Host Two Community Service Projects In Seattle - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 15, 2019
- Chicago Fire Draws Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-1, Extends Unbeaten Run to Three Games
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 8, 2019
- Chicago Fire Battles Toronto FC to a 2-2 Draw at BMO Field
- Chicago Fire Defender Raheem Edwards Diagnosed with Second Degree Lateral Collateral Ligament Sprain