Revolution's Joseph Earns MLS Best XI Honors
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution midfielder Shalrie Joseph was voted to the 2009 Major League Soccer Best XI team, MLS Commissioner Don Garber announced during his annual State of the League address on Monday. This is Joseph's third consecutive Best XI selection and the fourth of his career, as he was also honored in 2005, 2007 and 2008.
The Best XI is voted on by the league's players, general managers, coaches and members of the media, and represents the top players at each position for the season.
Historically a player judged more for his powerful influence in the central midfield than for his statistical contribution, Joseph added that dimension to his game this season out of necessity with the Revolution's all-time leading scorer (Taylor Twellman) and the league's all-time leader in assists (Steve Ralston) both lost to season-ending injuries. The versatile 31-year-old almost single-handedly guided the Revs to a postseason berth with career-high marks in both goals (8) and assists (8), leading the team in both categories.
For his efforts, Joseph has been named one of three finalists for Volkswagen MLS MVP along with LA Galaxy midfielder Landon Donovan and FC Dallas forward Jeff Cunningham, marking just the third time in club history that a Revolution player has been a league MVP finalist. The winner of the MVP award will be announced on Thursday, Nov. 19.
Joseph is joined on the MLS Best XI team by goalkeeper Zach Thornton (Chivas USA); defenders Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Wilman Conde (Chicago Fire) and Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew); midfielders Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo) and Freddie Ljungberg (Seattle Sounders FC); and forwards Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids) and Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2009
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Chivas Usa To Hold Youth Team Tryouts This Friday In Bell Gardens - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Defender Wilman Conde Named To 2009 Major League Soccer Best XI Squad - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA's Zach Thornton Named To Major League Soccer's 2009 Best XI - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo's Cameron, Holden Named To MLS Best XI - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Forward Conor Casey Named To 2009 MLS Best XI - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Midfielder Freddie Ljungberg Makes MLS Best XI - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution's Joseph Earns MLS Best XI Honors - New England Revolution
- De Rosario Named To MLS Best XI - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Announces 2009 Best XI - MLS
- FC Dallas Forward Jeff Cunningham Named 2009 MLS Best XI - FC Dallas
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Kansas City Wizards Grounds Crew Earns Field Of The Year Honor - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls To Participate In 2010 Football World Series - New York Red Bulls
- MLS W.O.R.K.S. To Host Two Community Service Projects In Seattle - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Carles Gil Named 2019 Major League Soccer Newcomer of the Year
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted a Finalist for 2019 MLS Newcomer of the Year Award
- UPDATE: Kickoff for Revolution's Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match at Atlanta United Moved to 1:00 p.m. on October 19
- Revolution to Face Atlanta United FC in Round One of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Revolution Fall to Atlanta United FC, 3-1, in Regular Season Finale