New York Red Bulls To Participate In 2010 Football World Series
SECAUCUS, NJ (Nov. 16, 2009) - Red Bull New York and the Football World Series today announced a multi-year agreement that will see Red Bull Arena serve as one of the annual sites for the major international soccer tournament. The 2010 version of the summer tournament will also be staged in Amsterdam, Holland; Dubai, United Arab Emirates; and Shanghai, China. The New York Red Bulls will serve as the host and participate as one of the four teams in the four-match tournament.
In each of the four locations for 2010, a four-team tournament that features some of the top soccer clubs in the world will be staged.
"Bringing the Football World Series to Red Bull Arena fulfills one our commitments of bringing top international matches to the New York area," said Red Bull New York Managing Director Erik Stover. "Having the Red Bulls participate in the tournament will give us the opportunity to compete against some of the top clubs in the world."
"We are pleased to welcome Red Bull New York to Football World Series as we see the United States as an integral part of our global expansion plans," said Football World Series Chief Executive Officer Bill Miles. "We are delighted to be staging one of our tournaments in the exciting and vibrant metropolitan New York area."
The final dates, participating clubs and ticket pricing for the Football World Series at Red Bull Arena will be announced early in 2010.
In addition, Red Bulls Season Ticket Holders will have an exclusive window to purchase tickets to the Football World Series before they go on sale to the general public. The exclusive window date will be announced in the near future.
In recent years, Football World Series has staged international four-team tournaments in Amsterdam, Dubai and Shanghai, featuring AC Milan, Manchester United, Barcelona and Boca Juniors, amongst other world class teams.
Red Bull Arena, the soccer-specific stadium being constructed in Harrison, New Jersey, is scheduled to open on March 27, 2010, when the Red Bulls face the Chicago Fire in the first MLS match of the upcoming Red Bulls season. Red Bull Arena is a privately-funded 25,000-seat stadium built with the soccer fan in mind as the first row of seating is located just seven yards from the touch line and all seats are covered by a 360-degree translucent roof. The arena also has premium seating, including 30 suites (20 on the fourth level and 10 on the fifth level) and 1,000 club seats located at midfield behind the player's benches. The Kentucky Bluegrass field sits atop a state-of-the-art drainage and heating system that allows for optimal conditions, no matter the weather.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2009
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Chivas Usa To Hold Youth Team Tryouts This Friday In Bell Gardens - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Defender Wilman Conde Named To 2009 Major League Soccer Best XI Squad - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA's Zach Thornton Named To Major League Soccer's 2009 Best XI - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo's Cameron, Holden Named To MLS Best XI - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Forward Conor Casey Named To 2009 MLS Best XI - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Midfielder Freddie Ljungberg Makes MLS Best XI - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution's Joseph Earns MLS Best XI Honors - New England Revolution
- De Rosario Named To MLS Best XI - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Announces 2009 Best XI - MLS
- FC Dallas Forward Jeff Cunningham Named 2009 MLS Best XI - FC Dallas
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Kansas City Wizards Grounds Crew Earns Field Of The Year Honor - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls To Participate In 2010 Football World Series - New York Red Bulls
- MLS W.O.R.K.S. To Host Two Community Service Projects In Seattle - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Fall Short to Philadelphia, 4-3 in Overtime
- New York Red Bulls, Newark Board of Education and Southern New Hampshire University Launch "Goal for Perfect Attendance" Program
- Match Preview: New York Heads to Philadelphia for Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Luis Robles Named a Finalist for MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
- New York Red Bulls Name Natasha Patel Head of Performance Analysis