Dynamo's Cameron, Holden Named To MLS Best XI
HOUSTON, TX (Monday, November 16, 2009) -- The Houston Dynamo's Geoff Cameron and Stuart Holden have both been honored with a spot on Major League Soccer's Best XI for the 2009 season, MLS announced today. The Dynamo are the only team with two players named to the Best XI.
The MLS Best XI recognizes the league's top 11 players at each position on the field - one goalkeeper, three defenders, five midfielders, and two forwards. The Best XI members received the most votes from the media, MLS players and MLS coaches and general managers.
Cameron, 24, was a finalist for MLS Defender of the Year after starting all 29 games for which he was eligible during the regular season. A natural midfielder, the second-year professional made 24 starts as a defender in 2009, often pairing with Bobby Boswell in central defense as the Dynamo tied for the best mark in the league with 29 goals allowed. Cameron was also named to the MLS All-Star First XI and played against English club Everton in late July. Offensively, Cameron contributed two goals and six assists in MLS play. He was named Dynamo Defender of the Year and was honored with the Dynamo's Defensive Play of the Year for his goal-saving bicycle kick on October 18, a play currently a finalist for MLS Save of the Year.
Holden, 24, stepped into a starting central midfield role and led the Dynamo into a tie for first place in the Western Conference. Of his six goals, five were game-winners, and Holden added four assists. The Houston product also broke out at the national-team level, earning CONCACAF Gold Cup all-tournament honors and a spot on the U.S. roster for World Cup qualifiers. He was also named to the MLS All-Star First XI and played against English club Everton in late July. Holden was named Dynamo Humanitarian of the Year for the second consecutive season and was given the Dynamo Fans' Choice Award for the player voted team MVP by the fans. Holden is currently a finalist for the Jefferson Award for Public Service. More information is available at HoustonDynamo.com/Holden.
Other members of the Best XI included GK Zach Thornton (Chivas USA), DF Wilman Conde (Chicago Fire), DF Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), MF Dwayne De Rosario (Toronto FC), MF Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), MF Shalrie Joseph (New England Revolution), MF Freddie Ljungberg (Seattle Sounders), FW Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas), FW Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids).
Houston Dynamo season tickets are on sale now for the 2010 season, including tickets for the Dynamo's entre home schedule and the MLS All-Star Game at Reliant Stadium. For more information, call (713) 276-7500 or log on to HoustonDynamo.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2009
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Chivas Usa To Hold Youth Team Tryouts This Friday In Bell Gardens - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Defender Wilman Conde Named To 2009 Major League Soccer Best XI Squad - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA's Zach Thornton Named To Major League Soccer's 2009 Best XI - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Dynamo's Cameron, Holden Named To MLS Best XI - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Forward Conor Casey Named To 2009 MLS Best XI - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Midfielder Freddie Ljungberg Makes MLS Best XI - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revolution's Joseph Earns MLS Best XI Honors - New England Revolution
- De Rosario Named To MLS Best XI - Toronto FC
- Major League Soccer Announces 2009 Best XI - MLS
- FC Dallas Forward Jeff Cunningham Named 2009 MLS Best XI - FC Dallas
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Kansas City Wizards Grounds Crew Earns Field Of The Year Honor - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls To Participate In 2010 Football World Series - New York Red Bulls
- MLS W.O.R.K.S. To Host Two Community Service Projects In Seattle - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo Continue Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Title Defense against Minnesota United in Round of 16 on June 18
- BBVA Compass Stadium Renamed BBVA Stadium with Ceremonial Logo Unveiling
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-2 Austin Bold FC (U.S. Open Cup Fourth Round)
- Dynamo Kick off U.S. Open Cup Title Defense with 3-2 Win over Austin Bold FC
- Houston Dynamo Sign Kyle Adams and Andrew Samuels to Short-Term Agreements