Sound Tigers 5 Earn 5-1 Win over Hartford
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (Jan. 19, 2014) - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack Sunday evening by a final score of 5-1. John Persson lit the lamp- and also added two assists- while Mike Halmo, Mike Cornell, Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Chris Langkow chipped in with goals of their own. Parker Milner made 31 saves for his third win of the season.
Halmo got the scoring going less than four minutes in when the Sound Tigers scored their first of two power-play goals. Ryan Strome, who had his 10-game point streak snapped Saturday night, found Halmo driving up the middle. Halmo got the puck past Hartford goaltender David LeNeveu and made it a 1-0 game.
With less than a minute to play in the first, the Wolf Pack got on the board with a power-play goal of their own. Danny Syvret had the puck at center point and blasted a slap shot through traffic to tie the score at one. That was the only puck Milner let past him all game.
Persson got his goal midway through the second period on a beautiful individual effort. He collected the puck near the blue line in the offensive zone before stickhandling around two Wolf Pack defensemen. He got to the base of the circle and fired a wrist shot that went bar-down for the goal. It was Persson's sixth of the season.
Cornell's goal came with less than two seconds to play in the middle period and gave the Sound Tigers a huge burst of momentum headed into the third period. Cornell's shot came from the top of the right circle and made it 3-1 Sound Tigers.
It remained a 3-1 game throughout most of the third period, but the Sound Tigers pulled away late with a pair of goals. Langkow sprang Bouchard on a breakaway with a backhand pass to the Wolf Pack blue line. Bouchard deked to the backhand and slipped it past LeNeveu at the 15:41 mark. In the final minute, the Sound Tigers sent the puck into the Wolf Pack end, where LeNeveu made an ill-advised attempt to corral the puck. Instead, Langkow reached it first, made a move around a diving LeNeveu, and put the puck into the open net. It was Langkow's first of the season and put a bow on a 5-1 Sound Tigers victory.
The Sound Tigers are back on the road next weekend when they play the Portland Pirates Friday and Springfield Falcons Saturday. They'll host the Syracuse Crunch at Webster Bank Arena Sunday at 5 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2014
- Admirals Close Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Loss at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Checkers Come Back, Top Norfolk in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Barons Defeat Milwaukee 5-4 in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Bears Post Exciting Comeback Win over Devils - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead, Fall in SO - Albany Devils
- Strong Start Leads Penguins over Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers 5 Earn 5-1 Win over Hartford - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bridgeport Tops Wolf Pack 5-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Penguins 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Assign Derek Smith to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Send Parent to Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets end slide - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.