Bridgeport Tops Wolf Pack 5-1
Bridgeport, CT, January 19, 2014 - John Persson scored a goal and added two assists, and Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Chris Langkow had a goal and an assist apiece, to lead the Bridgeport Sound Tigers to a 5-1 win over the Hartford Wolf Pack Sunday at the Webster Bank Arena.
Danny Syvret scored the lone Wolf Pack goal. Mike Halmo and Mike Cornell also scored for Bridgeport, and Parker Milner made 31 saves.
The loss dropped the Wolf Pack (12-21-0-5, 29 points) to six points behind the fourth-place Sound Tigers in the Northeast Division.
The Wolf Pack drew five power plays in the first period and outshot the Sound Tigers 16-5, but it was Bridgeport that struck first, converting on the only Sound Tiger power play of the period at 3:46.
Rookie scoring leader Ryan Strome made the play on the first goal of the game, carrying the puck down right wing and putting on a burst of speed to get by Wolf Pack defenseman Aaron Johnson. Strome fed a pass to an unchecked Halmo between the hash marks, and Halmo fired a shot past the catching glove of Hartford goaltender David LeNeveu (31 saves).
That lead lasted until there were 50.5 seconds left in the period, when the Wolf Pack finally converted on their fifth power play, which came courtesy of an interference call on Dallas Jackson at 19:09.
J.T. Miller worked the puck off the right-wing boards to Syvret at the middle of the blue line, and Syvret quickly released a slap shot that went through a Ryan Bourque screen and past Milner low.
The power plays swung the other way in the second period, with four straight man advantages going to Bridgeport, and the Sound Tigers cashed in on the last of those, after Arron Asham was called for hooking at 9:09.
The Wolf Pack failed to get the puck out of their zone near the blue line, and Persson was able to carry the puck across the slot from right to left. Persson moved down left wing and fired a perfect shot over LeNeveu's stick-side arm and into the top shelf.
Bridgeport would then make it a 3-1 lead with only 1.8 seconds remaining in the second, after a tremendous pressuring sequence. LeNeveu made several sharp saves in quick succession, but after he kicked out a Riley Wetmore shot with his left toe, the rebound went right to Cornell at the right-wing faceoff dot, and Cornell was able to one-time the puck into the net.
The Sound Tigers tacked on two more late in the third period, first at 15:41, when Bouchard scored on a breakaway. A Langkow pass sent Bouchard in alone, and Bouchard's backhander went off of LeNeveu's catching glove and up under the crossbar.
Then, Langkow made it a four-goal margin with his first goal of the season with 17.7 seconds left. Persson cleared the puck to center with Langkow behind the Wolf Pack defense, and LeNeveu raced out in an attempt to beat Langkow to the puck along the right-wing boards. Langkow won the race, however, and was able to stickhandle around LeNeveu and deposit the puck into the vacated net.
The Wolf Pack's next action is at home this Friday, January 24, a 7:00 PM contest against the Springfield Falcons at the XL Center. All Wolf Pack Friday-night home games feature $1 hot dogs and $2 beers through the start of the second period, presented by Marc's Appliance Warehouse, located at 75 Prospect Ave., Hartford, CT.
Tickets for all Wolf Pack 2013-14 home games are on sale now at the Public Power Ticket Office at the XL Center, on-line at www.hartfordwolfpack.com and by phone at (877) 522-8499. Wolf Pack tickets start as low as $12 for youth 12 years old or younger. To speak with a representative about season or group tickets, call (855) 762-6451.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2014
- Admirals Close Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Loss at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Checkers Come Back, Top Norfolk in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Barons Defeat Milwaukee 5-4 in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Bears Post Exciting Comeback Win over Devils - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead, Fall in SO - Albany Devils
- Strong Start Leads Penguins over Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers 5 Earn 5-1 Win over Hartford - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bridgeport Tops Wolf Pack 5-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Penguins 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Assign Derek Smith to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Send Parent to Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets end slide - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Wolf Pack Stories
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Steven Fogarty Named Hartford Wolf Pack's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Alex Whelan
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Free Agent Forward Austin Rueschhoff
- Rangers Agree to Terms with Defenseman K'Andre Miller