Devils Surrender Lead, Fall in SO
HERSHEY, PA - The Albany Devils appeared to be heading for a perfect three-for-three weekend. After wins Friday and Saturday, Albany led 3-1 against the Hershey Bears through two and a half periods. Then the Devils got into penalty trouble and the Bears took advantage, tying the game and eventually winning in the shootout, 4-3, Sunday at Giant Center.
Hershey, which enjoyed seven power plays during the last 15 minutes of regulation, scored at 10:49 and 16:56 of the third period to force overtime. Once in the shootout, Casey Wellman, Ryan Potulny and Dustin Gazley scored in the second, third and fourth rounds.
Despite the loss, the Devils earned five-out-of-a-possible-six points during their three-in-three weekend. They moved to 23-11-3-3, while Hershey improved to 19-14-3-3.
Scott Wedgewood made 32 saves, tying a season high. He made 10 saves in the first, eight in the second, 12 in the third and two in overtime. At the other end, David Leggio earned the win with 25 saves and three in the shootout.
Offensively, Rod Pelley registered a goal and an assist and Mike Sislo and Tim Sestito also scored. Defenseman Corbin McPherson registered a pair of assists. Pelley has goals in three straight games, while Sestito has goals in back-to-back outings. Since being returned by New Jersey Thursday, Sislo has three points (2g-1a) in as many games.
Trailing 1-0 after Gazley scored the lone first period goal, Sislo and Sestito gave the Devils a 2-1 advantage after two periods.
Pelley increased Albany's lead with a shorthanded tally 2:03 into the third period, but Potulny and David Kolomatis scored back-to-back goals for Hershey to close out regulation.
The Bears owned a 36-28 shot advantage and went 2-11 on the power play.
Albany returns to action Friday with a 7:05 outing at Binghamton. Fans can follow the action online or on mobile devices at ahllive.com. Additionally, the game will be available on 104.5 "The Team" ESPN Radio.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2014
- Admirals Close Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Loss at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Checkers Come Back, Top Norfolk in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Barons Defeat Milwaukee 5-4 in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Bears Post Exciting Comeback Win over Devils - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead, Fall in SO - Albany Devils
- Strong Start Leads Penguins over Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers 5 Earn 5-1 Win over Hartford - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bridgeport Tops Wolf Pack 5-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Penguins 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Assign Derek Smith to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Send Parent to Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets end slide - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.