P-Bruins Fall to Penguins 5-1
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 5-1 Sunday afternoon at the Dunkin Donuts Center. Joe Morrow scored the lone P-Bruins goal, while Jeff Jakaitis made 27 saves in the loss.
The Penguins opened the scoring at the 2:47 mark of the opening period on a goal by Anton Zlobin from the slot that he wristed high, glove side on an assist from behind the net from Dominik Uher and Zack Torquato. It was Zlobin's fifth goal of the season. Wilkes-Barre extended the lead to 2-0 at the 12:57 mark on a goal scored by Torquato jamming the puck through in front of the net. Uher and Philip Samuelsson had the assists on Torquato's third goal of the season. The Penguins closed out the first period scoring at the 19:32 mark, with a four-on-four goal scored by Simon Despres when he centered the puck, hitting it off a P-Bruins skate and into the net. For Despres it was his sixth goal of the season. Denver Manderson and Harry Zolnierczyk grabbed the assists as Wilkes-Barre led 3-0 going into the first intermission.
The P-Bruins increased the energy to start the second period but still had difficulty beating Penguins goalie Eric Hartzell. The best opportunity came from Matt Lindblad when he hit the post with a backhand just outside the crease. Despite not scoring, the P-Bruins controlled the second period but still went into the second intermission trailing 3-0.
The P-Bruins got on the scoreboard at the 3:11 mark of the third period with a 5-on-3 power play goal. Morrow took a pass from Carter Camper, just inside the left face-off circle and one-timed the puck through traffic and over the outstretched blocker of Hartzell for his fourth goal of the season. Craig Cunningham recorded the second assist. The Penguins re-took a three goal lead at the 12:53 mark. Tom Kostopoulos picked up the puck behind the P-Bruins net and passed it into the slot to Nick Drazenovic who scored his eighth goal of the season. Despres picked up the second assist. Kostopoulos finished off the scoring with his 15th goal of the season at the 16:16 mark, taking a saucer pass from Zolnierczyk and beating Jakaitis blocker side on the breakaway. Wilkes-Barre held on for the 5-1 victory.
Jakaitis stopped 27 of 32 shots for the P-Bruins, while Hartzell made 33 saves for the Penguins. Providence went 1-for-6 on the power play and 4-for-4 on the penalty kill.
The P-Bruins return to the Dunkin' Donuts Center on Friday at 7:05pm against the St. John's IceCaps. The first 3,000 fans in attendance will receive a mug courtesy of Dunkin' Donuts. For tickets to this game or any other P-Bruins home games visit www.providencebruins.com .
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2014
- Admirals Close Weekend with 4-3 Shootout Loss at Charlotte - Norfolk Admirals
- Checkers Come Back, Top Norfolk in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Barons Defeat Milwaukee 5-4 in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Bears Post Exciting Comeback Win over Devils - Hershey Bears
- Devils Surrender Lead, Fall in SO - Albany Devils
- Strong Start Leads Penguins over Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers 5 Earn 5-1 Win over Hartford - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bridgeport Tops Wolf Pack 5-1 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Fall to Penguins 5-1 - Providence Bruins
- Canadiens Recall Beaulieu from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Assign Derek Smith to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Syracuse Crunch Send Parent to Everblades - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets end slide - Utica Comets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2