Somerset Stuns Southern Maryland in Series Opener
Waldorf, MD. - Southern Maryland kicked off their homestand opener by hosting the Somerset Patriots for the first of a three game set. The Blue Crabs controlled the tempo, the scoring, and mostly everything in this game. That is until Somerset flipped the game on its head, coming back to win by a final score of 6-4.
The scoring got started with Blue Crabs starter Craig Stem on the mound, as the right-hander would allow one run in the top of the first from a Will Kengor swinging bunt RBI single. The good guys would strike back in the bottom of the second inning however when Charlie Valerio smacked a line drive home run, scoring two and putting the Blue Crabs ahead 2-0.
The Blue Crabs kept the scoring alive in the bottom of the fourth inning when Jon Griffin sent a moonshot two run home run out of Regency Furniture Stadium, hiking the scoring tally to 4-1.
Stem rolled on in a phenomenal start this evening, as he went nearly eight innings strong, allowing just four runs while striking out six.
The Patriots roared back in the ballgame in the later innings, as they would plate a total of five runs over the final three innings. It really took off in the eighth, as a two-out rally turned into a pair of Patriot runs, tying the contest at 4-4. Despite a Blue Crabs leadoff single in the bottom of the eighth, Zech Zinicola (W, 3-1) stranded a pair of runners to keep the score where it was.
In the top of the ninth, Somerset plated yet another pair of runs, the go-ahead and insurance runs, coming on a RBI double from Edwin Espinal , as Blue Crabs reliever Ryan Chaffee (L, 0-4) would get the loss.
The Patriots came back in epic fashion to take down the Blue Crabs in the homestand opener, winning by a score of 6-4.
The Blue Crabs will return home tomorrow, Saturday, May 25th to continue their seven game homestand at Regency Furniture Stadium, with the first pitch at 6:35 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Late Comeback Lifts Patriots Past Crabs - Somerset Patriots
- Late Inning Magic Propels Bees To Victory Over Rockers In Series Opener - New Britain Bees
- Closer Gets Five Outs in 4-3 Win Over York - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Somerset Stuns Southern Maryland in Series Opener - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Washington and Fuentes Launch Ducks Past Skeeters - Long Island Ducks
- Boston Red Sox Purchase Contract of RHP Konner Wade - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Super Bowl XXV Champion New York Giants to Appear at August 28th Somerset Patriots Game - Somerset Patriots
- New Britain Victorious Over Lancaster In Back And Forth Matinee Affair - New Britain Bees
- Ducks Rally Back But Fall Late in High Point - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Blue Crabs Release Revamped Backfin Buddies Kids Club Plan
- Thompson Wins ALPB Pitcher of the Year, Garcia Repeats Rawlings Gold Glove Defensive Player of the Year
- Blue Crabs Draft Trio of Bats in Bees Dispersal Draft
- Three Blue Crabs Named to ALPB All-Defensive Team
- Blue Crabs Set Bar with Three Post-Season All-Stars