Ducks Rally Back But Fall Late in High Point
(High Point, N.C.) - The Long Island Ducks were defeated by the High Point Rockers 5-2 on Thursday night in the finale of a three-game series at BB&T Point.
High Point took a 1-0 lead in the first inning on an RBI double to left field by Hector Gomez. A sacrifice fly to center off the bat of Giovanny Alfonzo in the second increased the Rockers lead to two.
Long Island rallied to tie the game with single runs in the sixth and eighth innings. An RBI single to center by Steve Lombardozzi and an RBI double to left by Kirk Nieuwenhuis evened the score at two.
However, the Rockers responded with three runs in the bottom of the eighth to go ahead for good. Quincy Latimore's RBI single through the left side and Brett Austin's two-run homer to right did the damage.
Neither starter factored into the decision. Ducks starter Alec Asher pitched five innings, allowing two runs on three hits and two walks while striking out three. Rockers starter Matt Sergey threw four scoreless innings, allowing a hit and a walk while striking out two. Sam Runion (1-1) picked up the win despite allowing a run on two hits in one inning. Vin Mazzaro (1-2) took the loss, giving up three runs on three hits in one inning. Trevor Frank earned his eighth save with a scoreless ninth, striking out two.
Lombardozzi led the Flock with two hits, an RBI, a run scored and a walk. Rey Fuentes added two hits and a run.
The Ducks return home on Friday to open a three-game series against the Sugar Land Skeeters. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). Following the game, all fans in attendance will be treated to a Fireworks Spectacular. In addition, Ducks staff members will be handing out coupons for a free regular sub (no purchase necessary) and $2 off any size sub at Jersey Mike's Subs to fans as they exit the ballpark. Left-hander Darin Downs (0-1, 3.96) gets the start for the Ducks against Skeeters righty Mitch Talbot (1-2, 4.22).
Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX. Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com, Facebook Live and the Ducks official YouTube channel.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.
Images from this story
Steve Lombardozzi of the Long Island Ducks
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Late Comeback Lifts Patriots Past Crabs - Somerset Patriots
- Late Inning Magic Propels Bees To Victory Over Rockers In Series Opener - New Britain Bees
- Closer Gets Five Outs in 4-3 Win Over York - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Somerset Stuns Southern Maryland in Series Opener - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Washington and Fuentes Launch Ducks Past Skeeters - Long Island Ducks
- Boston Red Sox Purchase Contract of RHP Konner Wade - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Super Bowl XXV Champion New York Giants to Appear at August 28th Somerset Patriots Game - Somerset Patriots
- New Britain Victorious Over Lancaster In Back And Forth Matinee Affair - New Britain Bees
- Ducks Rally Back But Fall Late in High Point - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.