Washington and Fuentes Launch Ducks Past Skeeters
(Central Islip, N.Y.) - The Long Island Ducks shut out the Sugar Land Skeeters 2-0 on Friday night in the opener of a three-game series at Bethpage Ballpark.
Both starters traded zeroes over the first seven innings of the game. Ducks starter Darin Downs pitched seven scoreless innings, allowing just five hits and two walks while striking out nine batters. Skeeters starter Mitch Talbot tossed seven shutout frames as well, yielding four hits while striking out seven.
The Ducks broke the scoreless deadlock in the bottom of the eighth against Sugar Land reliever Kevin Comer. David Washington's leadoff solo home run to right field, and Rey Fuentes' two-out solo blast to right put the Flock ahead 2-0.
George Kontos (2-0) earned the win, pitching two scoreless innings of relief, allowing one hit and one walk while striking out two. Comer (1-1) suffered the loss, surrendering two runs on two hits in one inning of relief.
Fuentes led the Flock offensively with two hits on the night.
The Ducks and Skeeters continue their three-game set on Saturday night. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). Following the game, all fans in attendance will be treated to a Fireworks Spectacular, presented by Flushing Bank. In addition, Ducks staff members will be handing out coupons for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more at Dick's Sporting Goods to fans as they exit the ballpark. Right-hander Joe Iorio (1-0, 0.53) takes the mound for the Ducks against Skeeters righty Lucas Irvine (1-1, 4.00).
Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX. Those unable to make the game can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com, Facebook Live and the Ducks official YouTube channel.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.
Images from this story
David Washington and Daniel Fields of the Long Island Ducks give high fives
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Late Comeback Lifts Patriots Past Crabs - Somerset Patriots
- Late Inning Magic Propels Bees To Victory Over Rockers In Series Opener - New Britain Bees
- Closer Gets Five Outs in 4-3 Win Over York - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Somerset Stuns Southern Maryland in Series Opener - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Washington and Fuentes Launch Ducks Past Skeeters - Long Island Ducks
- Boston Red Sox Purchase Contract of RHP Konner Wade - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Super Bowl XXV Champion New York Giants to Appear at August 28th Somerset Patriots Game - Somerset Patriots
- New Britain Victorious Over Lancaster In Back And Forth Matinee Affair - New Britain Bees
- Ducks Rally Back But Fall Late in High Point - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Ducks Stories
- Long Island Ducks Are 2019 Atlantic League Champions
- Romero and Mazzilli Help Flock Force Decisive Game Five
- Ducks Rally Big Late But Fall Just Short in Game Three
- Skeeters Stymie Ducks to Even Championship Series at One
- Five-Run First Leads Flock to Game One Win