Closer Gets Five Outs in 4-3 Win Over York
Cody Eppley was pushed beyond his usual role.
The Barnstormers closer was summoned with one out in the bottom of the eighth inning and got the final five outs of the night as the Barnstormers held off the York Revolution, 4-3.
It was the first step toward the Barnstormers' defense of the Community Cup title.
With a 4-2 lead entering the bottom of the eighth, the Barnstormers replaced starter Kyle Davies with right-handed reliever Alejandro Chacin. Chacin surrendered three walks to four batters, only notching an out on a foul pop up by Justin Trapp on a 3-2 pitch.
Eppley took over and struck out Telvin Nash for the second out. A wild pitch enabled James Skelton to score with Alexi Casilla and Henry Castlilo moving into scoring position. Isaias Tejeda swung at a 3-0 pitch and lofted a lazy fly ball to Caleb Gindl in right to end the inning.
Melky Mesa singled to left to start the home ninth and moved to second on a sacrifice by Welington Dotel. Ryan Dent smoked a liner to short, and Michael Martinez made a snap throw to second to double off Mesa, ending the night.
The Barnstormers jumped on Matthew Grimes (1-3) for all four of their runs in the third inning. Zach Shank and Anderson De La Rosa picked up the first two Lancaster hits of the game on line drives. Darian Sandford bunted back to the mound, but Grimes made a wide throw attempting to force Shank. Martinez bounced to the backhand side of Nash, who found first base uncovered after a quick bobble as the first run scored. Following a force out at home, Caleb Gindl singled through the right side for a 2-0 lead. Joe Terdoslavich drilled a two-run double to right center to cap the scoring.
York got single runs back off Davies (2-1) in the fifth and sixth innings.
The Barnstormers and Revs meet for the middle game of the three-game series on Saturday at 6:30. Buddy Baumann (2-1) will match up against York right-hander Daniel Minor (1-2). Fans may tune into the Barnstormers YouTube Channel at 6:15.
NOTES: Davies authored his fourth consecutive quality start...Eppley's save was his 93rd in the Atlantic League...Gindl had his fourth three-hit game of the season...Martinez has six hits in the last two games...Terdoslavich has hit safely in 21 of 24.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 24, 2019
- Late Comeback Lifts Patriots Past Crabs - Somerset Patriots
- Late Inning Magic Propels Bees To Victory Over Rockers In Series Opener - New Britain Bees
- Closer Gets Five Outs in 4-3 Win Over York - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Somerset Stuns Southern Maryland in Series Opener - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Washington and Fuentes Launch Ducks Past Skeeters - Long Island Ducks
- Boston Red Sox Purchase Contract of RHP Konner Wade - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Super Bowl XXV Champion New York Giants to Appear at August 28th Somerset Patriots Game - Somerset Patriots
- New Britain Victorious Over Lancaster In Back And Forth Matinee Affair - New Britain Bees
- Ducks Rally Back But Fall Late in High Point - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lancaster Barnstormers Stories
- Torrence Shines In Loss
- Ten Hits Not Enough in Loss
- Enormous Ducks Rally Leaves 'Stormers with Split
- Cardullo Blasts High Point To Sweep
- Rookie Belts Tying Homer, Barnstormers Lose Sixth Straight