Silvertips Set Franchise Point Streak Record, Improve to 16-0-1 with Win over Americans
EVERETT, Wash. - The Everett Silvertips set a franchise record Wednesday night by extending their point streak to 17 games, topping the Tri-City Americans 6-2 on home ice.
Everett dominated puck possession, outshooting the Americans 22-8 in a scoreless first period then 23-6 in the second (a new single-period high on the season). The Silvertips finished with 58 shots on goal, the most in a single game all year.
Michal Gut opened the scoring with a powerplay goal, wiring a wrist shot past Tri-City netminder Tomas Suchanek from the left circle midway through the second period. Minutes later, Gut found Hunter Campbell unmarked in the slot from the corner for a 2-0 lead.
Jacob Wright picked off an airborne Tri-City pass in the attacking zone in the third period, directing the puck to Alex Swetlikoff who in turn dropped to Ronan Seeley for a slapshot goal. Seeley, the reigning WHL Player of the Week, set a new personal best for a single season with his sixth tally of the year.
Just 27 seconds later, Gut set up Matthew Ng between the hashmarks for the fourth goal of the game. Defenseman Dexter Whittle earned his first career WHL point with a secondary assist on the play.
With Suchanek lifte from the game in favor of Nick Avakyan, the Silvertips maintained pressure. Olen Zellweger negated a Tri-City zone entry by stealing the puck from an oncoming Americans forward and motoring his way through the neutral zone. Finessing a saucer pass to the slot, Niko Huuhtanen buried a backhander past Avakyan for a 5-0 Silvertips lead.
Though Ethan Ernst would break the dam for a Tri-City goal, Hunter Campbell would tack on another powerplay goal for Everett, tapping in a backdoor pass from Huuhtanen to make the score 6-1.
Petr Moravec would tally in the waning minutes of the third for a 6-2 final. Everett netminder Braden Holt stopped 18 of 20 shots for his eighth win of the season.
SATURDAY NIGHT SHOWDOWN: The Silvertips will hop the ferry to Victoria for a Friday night matchup with the Royals. They return home Saturday to face-off with the Kamloops Blazers in a matchup of WHL powerhouses.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2021
- Silvertips Set Franchise Point Streak Record, Improve to 16-0-1 with Win over Americans - Everett Silvertips
- Rebels Second Year Defenceman Mayo Continuing to Develop in Positive Fashion - Red Deer Rebels
- Kelowna Rockets Preview For November 26 And 27 Games - Kelowna Rockets
- ICE Reassign Harmacy - Winnipeg Ice
- Single Game Tickets Available For All Home Games, Rockets Announce Teddy Bear Toss Game - Kelowna Rockets
- Penalty Trouble Sinks Broncos in Loss to ICE - Swift Current Broncos
- Hawks Edged by Giants in Back-And-Forth Tilt - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Fall 6-2 to Conference Leading Silvertips - Tri-City Americans
- Depleted T-Birds Fall to Kamloops - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Bedard's OT Winner Lifts Pats Past Canes - Regina Pats
- Second-Period Breakdowns Prove Costly to Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Winterhawks Earn Point on Thanksgiving Eve - Portland Winterhawks
- Chiefs Get Monkey off Back with First Home Win of 2021-22 Season - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs Down Rockets 2-1 - Kelowna Rockets
- Oil Kings Take Down Rebels in Central Division Showdown - Edmonton Oil Kings
- ICE, Alexander Shutout Swift Current Broncos 7-0 - Winnipeg Ice
- Raiders Fall to Warriors - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Silvertips Erupt for Nine Goals in Historic Offensive Night
- Seeley, Zellweger Named to Hockey Canada's Selection Camp
- Silvertips Ink Forward Caden Zaplitny
- Silvertips Earn a Point in Victoria, Fall Just Short against Kamloops
- Silvertips Set Franchise Point Streak Record, Improve to 16-0-1 with Win over Americans