Penalty Trouble Sinks Broncos in Loss to ICE
Winnipeg, Man. - Penalty trouble for the Swift Current Broncos (6-10-2-1) played a major factor Wednesday night as the Winnipeg ICE (20-1-0-0) went 4-for-8 on the power play, handing the Broncos a 7-0 loss.
The Broncos nearly opened the scoring two minutes into the game as Winnipeg goalie Gage Alexander misplayed the puck behind his net, but as Josh Davies pulled the puck in front he couldn't backhand it into the open cage.
The ICE opened the scoring a few minutes later while on the power play. Jakin Smallwood took a pass from the left point and spun to fire it on net. Reid Dyck made the save with his left pad but Smallwood got his own rebound and slid it in to open the scoring 6:23 into the game.
Dyck made a number of marvelous saves over the course of the opening 20 minutes to keep his team within striking distance. The shots read 22-5 after one with Winnipeg leading 2-0.
Connor McClennon skated out from behind the Broncos net and found some daylight over the blocker of Dyck, firing a shot in for his 16th of the season.
The ICE power play was on display in the second period as they scored three times in the opening 4:51 of the period to jump out to a 5-0 lead. They would finish the night 4-for-8 on the power play, adding to their league-leading power play totals.
Winnipeg added two more goals, one in the second and one in the third, while Gage Alexander turned aside all 23 shots sent his way as the Broncos were shutout for the first time this season.
The Broncos now return home to the Innovation Credit Union iPlex to welcome the Moose Jaw Warriors (8-10-0-1) in the first half of a weekend home-and-home set.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2021
- Silvertips Set Franchise Point Streak Record, Improve to 16-0-1 with Win over Americans - Everett Silvertips
- Rebels Second Year Defenceman Mayo Continuing to Develop in Positive Fashion - Red Deer Rebels
- Kelowna Rockets Preview For November 26 And 27 Games - Kelowna Rockets
- ICE Reassign Harmacy - Winnipeg Ice
- Single Game Tickets Available For All Home Games, Rockets Announce Teddy Bear Toss Game - Kelowna Rockets
- Penalty Trouble Sinks Broncos in Loss to ICE - Swift Current Broncos
- Hawks Edged by Giants in Back-And-Forth Tilt - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Fall 6-2 to Conference Leading Silvertips - Tri-City Americans
- Depleted T-Birds Fall to Kamloops - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Bedard's OT Winner Lifts Pats Past Canes - Regina Pats
- Second-Period Breakdowns Prove Costly to Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Winterhawks Earn Point on Thanksgiving Eve - Portland Winterhawks
- Chiefs Get Monkey off Back with First Home Win of 2021-22 Season - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs Down Rockets 2-1 - Kelowna Rockets
- Oil Kings Take Down Rebels in Central Division Showdown - Edmonton Oil Kings
- ICE, Alexander Shutout Swift Current Broncos 7-0 - Winnipeg Ice
- Raiders Fall to Warriors - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.