Bedard's OT Winner Lifts Pats Past Canes
Lethbridge, Alta. - The Regina Pats got an exciting last-second goal from Connor Bedard on Wednesday night in a 3-2 overtime win over the Lethbridge Hurricanes at the Enmax Centre.
The Pats improve to 9-10-0 on the season, while the Hurricanes fall to 7-11-0.
Bedard's goal came on a 3-on-1 rush in the extra frame while on the power play, as Cole Dubinsky fed him a cross-crease pass for a tap-in with 1.1 seconds remaining. It was Bedard's 10th goal of the season and first on the power play.
The Pats would not have gotten the two points if it weren't for goaltender Matthew Kieper, who was the best player on either side, finishing the night with 40 saves on 42 shots. He has now won three consecutive starts with a .946 SV% in that span and is 9-8 on the season.
Newly signed forward Alex Geci also played a big part in the win, scoring his first two WHL goals in the opening period, first on a shot from the slot, and then on a deflection.
The Pats next game is on Saturday, November 27 against the Red Deer Rebels at 8 p.m. Saskatchewan time.
REG 1-0 at 1:11 - Alex Geci (1), assisted by Adam McNutt (3) // McNutt pinched up the right wall and centred a pass for Geci, who quickly fired a wrist shot blocker side for his first WHL goal.
REG 2-0 at 7:17 - Alex Geci (2), assisted by Parker Berge (2) and Layton Feist (6) // Feist fired a shot from the left point that was deflected in by Geci.
LET 1-2 at 12:49 - Noah Boyko (6), assisted by Kade Nolan and Jett Jones // Boyko was able to find the loose puck in the slot area after some confusion and lifted it over Kieper to cut the Pats lead in half.
LET 2-2 at 1:11 - Logan Wormald (4), assisted by Noah Boyko and Logan McCutcheon // After Englot blocked a point shot, the puck bounced to Wormald at the top of the left circle, who ripped a shot off the cross-bar and in to tie the game.
REG 3-2 at 4:59 - Connor Bedard (10), assisted by Cole Dubinsky (6) (PPG) // 3-on-3 overtime had plenty of action both ways, and the Pats found themselves with a 3-on-1 rush opportunity in the dying seconds, where Dubinsky fed a cross-crease pass to Bedard for the tap-in.
FINAL (OT): Pats 3 | Hurricanes 2
SOG: REG - 35 | LET - 42
PP: REG - 1-for-4 | LET - 1-for-6
Faceoffs: REG - 38 | LET - 36
Regina: Matthew Kieper was lights out for the second time in three games, making 40 saves on 42 shots, including 28 in the first two periods. He was named the game's first star.
Lethbridge: Bryan Thomson was strong on Wednesday too, stopping 32 of 35.
STAT OF THE NIGHT
1.1 - Bedard's overtime winner was a dagger for the Hurricanes, scored with just a second remaining in the contest.
Matthew Kieper made a second bid for save of the year, with a couple of unbelievable stops in the third period, first using his athleticism to slide across and make a pad save, and then having the poise to stay with the play and reach back with his glove just in time.
Matthew Kieper- REG -40 saves on 42 shots
Noah Boyko - LET - 1G, 1A
Bryan Thomson - LET- 32 saves on 35 shots
The Pats play the back-half of their four-game swing through Alberta on Wednesday on Saturday in Red Deer and Sunday afternoon in Calgary. Their next home game is Sat. Dec. 4 against the Swift Current Broncos. Regina will be wearing special jerseys, which were designed by Pats fan Allery Lang, who won the Real Canadian Superstore #LeaveYourMark Design a Jersey Contest. For tickets, click here.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2021
- Silvertips Set Franchise Point Streak Record, Improve to 16-0-1 with Win over Americans - Everett Silvertips
- Rebels Second Year Defenceman Mayo Continuing to Develop in Positive Fashion - Red Deer Rebels
- Kelowna Rockets Preview For November 26 And 27 Games - Kelowna Rockets
- ICE Reassign Harmacy - Winnipeg Ice
- Single Game Tickets Available For All Home Games, Rockets Announce Teddy Bear Toss Game - Kelowna Rockets
- Penalty Trouble Sinks Broncos in Loss to ICE - Swift Current Broncos
- Hawks Edged by Giants in Back-And-Forth Tilt - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Fall 6-2 to Conference Leading Silvertips - Tri-City Americans
- Depleted T-Birds Fall to Kamloops - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Bedard's OT Winner Lifts Pats Past Canes - Regina Pats
- Second-Period Breakdowns Prove Costly to Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Winterhawks Earn Point on Thanksgiving Eve - Portland Winterhawks
- Chiefs Get Monkey off Back with First Home Win of 2021-22 Season - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs Down Rockets 2-1 - Kelowna Rockets
- Oil Kings Take Down Rebels in Central Division Showdown - Edmonton Oil Kings
- ICE, Alexander Shutout Swift Current Broncos 7-0 - Winnipeg Ice
- Raiders Fall to Warriors - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.