Shutouts Stand out for Stein
Waterloo, Iowa - Waterloo Black Hawks goalie Logan Stein doubled his shutout total over the weekend and was named the United States Hockey League Goaltender of the Week for the second time this season on Tuesday.
The Ferris State recruit blanked the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders on Thanksgiving night during a 4-0 Waterloo win. The teams met for a rematch Saturday, with Stein and the Hawks coming out on top1-0.
Over 11 appearances this season, Stein is 8-3-0-0 with four shutouts. His 1.58 goals against average and .938 save percentage both lead the USHL. Stein's four shutouts are twice as many as any other league netminder. The 18-year-old was previously named USHL Goaltender of the Week on October 15th this season, as well as on January 28th last winter.
Last Thursday, his 28-save effort helped him become the fourth Waterloo goalie to earn a shutout on Thanksgiving. He is also one of only four Hawks goaltenders with multiple victories in the annual holiday contest after back-stopping Waterloo to a win last November as well. Saturday, every one of Stein's saves was vital to the effort during the 1-0 decision. He was particularly busy in the first period, when he made 13 of his 30 stops. It was Stein's second 1-0 shutout of the season.
Tuesday's announcement marked the third time this season that a Black Hawk has won a USHL Player of the Week Award. Ryder Rolston was the league's Forward of the Week on October 22nd.
Beginning this weekend, Stein will represent the United States - along with Rolston and fellow Black Hawk Connor Caponi - at the World Junior A Challenge in Dawson Creek, British Columbia.
Meanwhile, the Hawks will host the Lincoln Stars on Friday and Saturday. Veterans and active service personnel can take advantage of free tickets during Military Appreciation Weekend, and the team will wear special jerseys presented by American Pattern and CNC Works, recognizing the World War II-era Flying Tigers. At an auction after Saturday's game, those sweaters will be sold to benefit Cedar Valley Honor Flight. For tickets, visit waterlooblackhawks.com or call the Domino's Black Hawks Box Office at (319) 291-7680.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2019
- Saturday at the Stable: RoughRiders Hockey and Christmas Spirit - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Waterloo Black Hawks Weekly Preview - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Evan Nause Earns USHL Weekly Honors - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Christian Sarlo Named USHL Forward of the Week - Lincoln Stars
- Shutouts Stand out for Stein - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Christian Sarlo (Lincoln), Evan Nause (Sioux Falls) and Logan Stein (Waterloo) Earn Weekly Honors - USHL
- Sioux City Drops Two over the Holiday Week - Sioux City Musketeers
- Sioux City Acquires David Gucciardi from Muskegon - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.