Christian Sarlo Named USHL Forward of the Week
The United States Hockey League (USHL) announced Tuesday that Christian Sarlo has been named the Forward of the Week for Week 9 of the 2019-20 season.
Sarlo scored three times and registered three assists in three games this week for the Stars, leading them to a 2-1 record while adding a +4 rating.
"It's definitely nice," Sarlo said. "It's just a lot of hard work and we're all doing our work out here. There was a lot of team success and we took a step in the right direction, so it was a pretty good week."
The Penn State commit lit the lamp once and notched two assists in Lincoln's 6-4 victory over the Sioux City Musketeers Wednesday night. Sarlo was on the ice for four of the Stars goals, assisting Josh Groll's opening tally, as well as scoring the empty-net goal to secure the victory for his team.
On Saturday night at home against Tri-City, Sarlo continued his rampant stretch of offense. He deflected a shot from Travis Treloar past Storm goaltender Joe Sharib in the first period, giving the Stars a 2-1 lead. He picked up assists on Robert McCollum's first goal in the USHL and a second-period goal from Treloar.
The 18-year-old winger would pot his fifth power-play goal of the 2019-20 campaign late in the third period for his second goal of the game.
"What I love about Christian is his consistency in who he is and how he goes about his business on a day-to-day basis," Stars GM/head coach Cody Chupp said following Saturday's game. "That's what junior hockey is about is finding that consistency. He's, in that aspect, mature beyond his years. He's a world-class kid that truly cares about his own development and cares about the success of our team. That shows, not just on the weekends where he's getting rewarded for that work that he puts in, but every day is really the big component."
In 50 games with the Chicago Steel last year, Sarlo scored once on the man-advantage. His five PPGs this season lead the Stars and are tied for third-most in the USHL. The Lynbrook, NY native has 23 points (nine goals, 14 assists) in 20 games this season in Lincoln. Sarlo's linemates, Josh Groll and Treloar, are right behind him in points with 22 and 21, respectively. This marks the first time in the 2019-20 season a Stars player has been recognized as the USHL Forward, Defenseman or Goalie of the Week.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2019
- Saturday at the Stable: RoughRiders Hockey and Christmas Spirit - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Waterloo Black Hawks Weekly Preview - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Evan Nause Earns USHL Weekly Honors - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Christian Sarlo Named USHL Forward of the Week - Lincoln Stars
- Shutouts Stand out for Stein - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Christian Sarlo (Lincoln), Evan Nause (Sioux Falls) and Logan Stein (Waterloo) Earn Weekly Honors - USHL
- Sioux City Drops Two over the Holiday Week - Sioux City Musketeers
- Sioux City Acquires David Gucciardi from Muskegon - Sioux City Musketeers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Stars Stories
- Stars Dominate 5-On-5 But Fall Short in Des Moines
- Stars to Play Buccaneers in Des Moines Saturday; November 25th at Waterloo Postponed
- Stars Acquire Nardecchia from Tri-City
- Mayorov Acquired by Stars in Eight-Piece Deal with Storm
- Stars Add Brian Kaufman and Connor Court to Hockey Operations Staff