Shuckers Drop Series with 8-2 Defeat to Birmingham
BIRMINGHAM, AL - The Biloxi Shuckers (1-4) homered twice but were unable to outslug the Birmingham Barons (4-1) in an 8-2 defeat on Saturday night at Regions Field.
Birmingham jumped out to a lead in the bottom of the first inning on a triple by Zack Granite and a groundout by Zach Remillard, but RHP Luis Contreras (L, 0-1) got out of the early trouble. The righty held the Barons off the board in the second and third, striking out five of the nine batters he faced the second time through the lineup.
Contreras departed in the bottom of the fourth inning with two gone and runners on second and third for RHP Zach Vennaro. Barons' second baseman Romy Gonzalez double down the right field line against Vennaro, extending the Barons to a 3-0 edge.
The Shuckers got a run back in the top of the fifth inning thanks to a solo home run to left field by David Fry, his first of the season, pulling Biloxi within two at 3-1. The Shuckers would bring the tying man to the plate in the sixth after a Mitch Longo double, but reliever Luis Ledo (H,1) induced a ground out to preserve the Barons lead.
The Barons strung together four consecutive hits to drive in three runs in the bottom of the sixth and added another in the bottom of the seventh on a solo home run by Ian Dawkins. Tristen Lutz drew back the run in the top of the eighth with a solo home run to center field, his first of the season, but Birmingham scratched across another run in the home half of the frame to go in front 8-2.
Alexander Palma and Payton Henry both reached base to start the ninth inning, but LHP Anderson Severino retired the next three batters in order to close out the ballgame.
Biloxi concludes their six-game series with the Barons on Sunday afternoon at 4:00 pm. The Shuckers have not named a starter while Birmingham is scheduled to send LHP John Parke to the hill. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, online here or on the MiLB app.
Biloxi opens up their 2021 home schedule on May 11 at 6:35 pm against the Mississippi Braves at MGM Park. Individual tickets are on sale now and promotions for May can be found here. Full Shuck Nation Memberships and Half Shell Shuck Nation Memberships, flex plans and group outings are available by calling 228-233-3465 and selecting Option 3.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A South League message board...
Double-A South League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Curlis Delivers Strong Outing in 6-4 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Shuckers Drop Series with 8-2 Defeat to Birmingham - Biloxi Shuckers
- Langeliers Hits Two Homers in 5-2 Win on Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Payne Drives in Winning Run in Eighth as Smokies Clinch Series - Tennessee Smokies
- Pensacola Falters Late, Loses 5-2 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Drop Series to Smokies, 4-3 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Saturday, May 8 vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos: 6:05 PM: Trustmark Park - Mississippi Braves
- Errors Cost Biscuits in 13-8 Loss - Montgomery Biscuits
- Walks Prove Costly In 3-2 Loss To Blue Wahoos On Friday - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.