Shorebirds Top Claws 7-2 in Saturday Night Series Opener
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Kirvin Mosequit had four hits to lead Delmarva to a 7-2 win over the BlueClaws on Saturday night at FirstEnergy Park.
Lakewood (6-3/47-31) had their four-game winning streak snapped while Delmarva (6-4/41-36) has now won four of five on their current road trip.
Delmarva to a first-inning run when Kirvin Mosequit scored on a wild pitch. they added two more in the second on an RBI groundout by Mason McCoy and an RBI single by Zach Jarrett for a 2-0 lead.
BlueClaws starter Damon Jones (6-3), who was hit on the lower leg with a line drive in the second, came out of the game in the third, allowing three runs, one earned, in 2.2 innings.
After Lakewood left the bases loaded in the fourth inning, Delmrava got an RBI double from Jaylen Ferguson and an RBI single from Mosequit in the fifth to take a 5-0 lead.
Delmarva starter DL Hall came out of the game after four scoreless innings in which he walked four. The BlueClaws got on the board in the bottom of the fifth on a two-run home run from Jhailyn Ortiz off reliever Reed Hayes. It was Ortiz's sixth home run of the season and the 22nd of his professional career.
Nick Vespi (1-3) followed Hayes with two scoreless innings to earn the win.
The Shorebirds added two more in the sixth when Branden Becker took Ismael Cabrera deep for a 7-2 lead. Jake Scheiner drew four walks for the BlueClaws, tying a franchise record set five previous times, most recently by Jeremy Barnes in 2010. Ortiz and Colby Fitch had two hits apiece for Lakewood.
The teams continue their series on Sunday at 1:05 pm. RHP Andrew Brown (2-1) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Jhon Peluffo (1-3).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 30, 2018
- 'Birds Overcome Walks, Missed Chances to Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Shorebirds Top Claws 7-2 in Saturday Night Series Opener - Lakewood BlueClaws
- West Virginia Pounds out 15 Hits in 12-4 Drubbing - West Virginia Power
- Legends Can'T Hold off Tourists in Game One - Lexington Legends
- Golden Blasts Two Home Runs in Big Comeback Win - Asheville Tourists
- Dogs Bats Wake up Late to Steal Opener in Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Done in by RiverDogs Comeback on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Hagerstown Drops Fifth Straight in 12-4 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Six Run Fifth Dooms Rome, Braves Fall 6-4 - Rome Braves
- Saturday's Game Suspended, Double Header Scheduled for Sunday - Hickory Crawdads
- GreenJackets Fall to Fireflies - Augusta GreenJackets
- Paulino Unflappable in Opener vs. Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 30 at Augusta (Game 76) - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Launch Campaign to Retire SC Veteran Medical Debt - Columbia Fireflies
- WEST VIRGINIA POWER: Game Notes (June 30) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.