Shepard Blanks Phantoms in Debut to Earn Carbery 100th Win
(Hershey, PA) - In his American Hockey League debut, goaltender Hunter Shepard posted a 28-save clean sheet to lead the Hershey Bears to a 2-0 win on Sunday evening at GIANT Center. The Bears improved to 20-6-2-0 on the season, and the win was the 100th victory for Hershey head coach Spencer Carbery. He is the 12th coach in franchise history to accomplish this feat.
Sunday's game was a goaltender's duel and Lehigh Valley's Felix Sandstrom kept Hershey scoreless in the first period as the Bears outshot the Phantoms 17-3. Sandstrom would finish the evening with 40 saves for Lehigh Valley.
The only puck that beat Sandstrom came off the tape of Hershey's Brett Leason in the second period. At 9:58, Shane Gersich won a faceoff back to Leason. The forward collected the puck in the slot, and snapped a shot past Sandstrom's blocker to make it 1-0 Hershey. The goal was Leason's seventh of the season.
Shepard stopped 13 shots in the second period, including a breakaway from veteran Chris Mueller, then denied 12 more Lehigh Valley opportunities in the final period to capture the shutout. The two-time NCAA Champion at Minnesota-Duluth was named the game's First Star.
With Sandstrom pulled for the extra attacker, Axel Jonsson-Fjallby sealed the win for the Bears with an empty net goal with 1:50 remaining, tallying his eighth goal of the season. Gersich and Cameron Schilling assisted on the goal, and for Schilling, the helper was his 200th AHL point.
With the win, the Bears have won seven straight games at GIANT Center and the club has won three straight games overall.
Hershey went 0-for-4 on the power play in the game while the Phantoms were 0-for-6.
The two teams rematch on Wednesday at the PPL Center in Allentown at 7:05 p.m. The game may be heard on the Highmark Bears Radio Network and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 2, 2021
- Stars Edged by Monsters in Overtime in Final Meeting - Texas Stars
- Monsters Claim Overtime Win in Series Finale - Cleveland Monsters
- Senators Skate Past Marlies 4-1 - Toronto Marlies
- Sandström Sensational Sunday Start with 40 Stops - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Crunch Roll Past Comets, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Shepard Blanks Phantoms in Debut to Earn Carbery 100th Win - Hershey Bears
- Comets Can't Solve Crunch on the Road, Lose 5-2 - Utica Comets
- Colorado Eagles Complete Multiple Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- A Great Experience for Jan Mysak - Laval Rocket
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, May 2nd - Belleville Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Roadrunners Set Franchise Record with Nine Goals in Emphatic Win over San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Little Goes Right in 9-2 Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Shutout 4-0 by Silver Knights - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Sign Forward Yanick Turcotte to AHL Contract
- Capitals Add Veteran Defenders Dylan McIlrath and Matt Irwin, Sign Shepard, Re-Sign Johansen
- Captain Matt Moulson Returns for Third Season with Bears
- Hershey Bears Announce Schedule for 2021-22 Season
- Bears Sign Veteran Defender Cody Franson to AHL Deal