Sharp Sinks Rome, Leads Columbia to Doubleheader Sweep
COLUMBIA, SC - Brian Sharp could not be stopped at Segra Park on Monday. Columbia's outfielder drilled the walk-off base hit in game one of the doubleheader against Rome and then followed that up with a three-run homer in game two that gave his team a late lead en route to a victory. The Fireflies swept the doubleheader and won the series over the Braves, three-games-to-four.
The score was knotted up at 1-1 at the start of the bottom of the seventh of game one. Chandler Avant led off the frame with a double and later moved to third when the bases loaded. Sharp stepped to the dish and mashed a pitch from Alan Rangel to the base of the left-field wall. Sharp clinched Columbia's second walk-off win of the year. The final score was 2-1.
Sharp wasn't done. With the same tie score in the bottom of the fifth of game two, Sharp broke up that tie with one mighty swing. His three-run homer gave the Fireflies a lead they wouldn't relinquish. Gerson Molina would make sure of it with a two-run homer in the sixth, his second this week. The home team won, 6-1.
It was the first doubleheader sweep for Columbia in 23 months. The last time the Fireflies won both games of a twin bill was June 10, 2017 against Charleston.
Sharp and the Fireflies tallied their highest single-game total of extra-base hits this season in game two. Pedro Lopez's club smoked six extra-base hits. Chase Chambers doubled twice in the second game, knocking in a run his second time around in the fourth.
Ronny Mauricio had a solid first game of the doubleheader. He plated the only other run in the 2-1 victory in the fifth with an RBI triple. Mauricio finished with two hits and a walk in game one.
Columbia's pitchers were splendid on the mound:
Jose Butto - 5.1 IP, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K
Andrew Mitchell - Win, 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K
Alec Kisena - 3.2 IP, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
Jose Moreno - Win, 1.1 IP, 1 ER, 2 K
Tylor Megill - Save, 2.0 IP, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
The Fireflies start a three-game series against the Augusta GreenJackets on Tuesday evening at SRP Park in North Augusta, South Carolina. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 ET. You can tune into the action at FirefliesLiveStream.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Suns Scorch 'Birds for Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sharp Sinks Rome, Leads Columbia to Doubleheader Sweep - Columbia Fireflies
- Offense Soars over 'Birds in 15-1 Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 13 vs. Rome Braves (Games 36 & 37) - Columbia Fireflies
- Comeback Bid Falls Short as Dogs Lose Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pena Homers as Power Drops Finale in Front of 6,027 Fans - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Drops Series to Augusta - Lexington Legends
- Asheville Downs Greenville with Two Solo Homers Monday - Greenville Drive
- Monday Morning Mound Battle Goes to GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Pick up Series Win with 7-5 Victory over RiverDogs - Hickory Crawdads
- Vavra Provides the Offense; Bush Pitches a Gem - Asheville Tourists
- King of the Cage Fight Rescheduled for Monday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Notes (May 13) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.