Asheville Downs Greenville with Two Solo Homers Monday
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The Asheville Tourists shutout the Greenville Drive and used two solo home runs from Terrian Vavra to claim the series with a 2-0 victory on Monday morning at McCormick Field.
Asheville starter Nick Bush (2-3) worked 6.0 scoreless innings, allowing just three hits with seven strikeouts against no walks. Mike Nokorak, PJ Poulin and Alexander Martinez then each threw a scoreless inning in relief to complete the shutout for the Tourists.
Alex Scherff (0-3) was the tough-luck loser, allowing two runs, coming on the two solo homers, on five hits with five strikeouts against two walks in 5.0 innings of work. The Drive bullpen also worked 3.0 scoreless innings, as Yoan Aybar worked a 1-2-3 sixth and Oddanier Mosqueda faced the minimum across the seventh and eighth innings to keep the game within reach.
Vavra's two homers came in the third and fifth innings. He hit a lead-off solo homer to right in the third, his fourth of the season, before hitting his fifth of the year in the fifth, a solo homer to right center.
Greenville's best opportunity came in the ninth, as Devlin Granberg was hit by a pitch to start the inning and Triston Casas walked to put the first two aboard. Martinez struck out the next three batters, though, to end the game and earn his eighth save of the season.
Cole Brannen, Marino Campana and Korby Batesole each singled in the game to account for the Drive's three hits. Granberg reached base twice in the game, both by hit-by-pitch, while Brandon Howlett was also hit once.
Greenville returns home to start a seven-game homestand on Tuesday, hosting the Hickory Crawdads for three and the West Virginia Power for four games at Fluor Field.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 13, 2019
- Suns Scorch 'Birds for Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sharp Sinks Rome, Leads Columbia to Doubleheader Sweep - Columbia Fireflies
- Offense Soars over 'Birds in 15-1 Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 13 vs. Rome Braves (Games 36 & 37) - Columbia Fireflies
- Comeback Bid Falls Short as Dogs Lose Series Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Pena Homers as Power Drops Finale in Front of 6,027 Fans - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Drops Series to Augusta - Lexington Legends
- Asheville Downs Greenville with Two Solo Homers Monday - Greenville Drive
- Monday Morning Mound Battle Goes to GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Dads Pick up Series Win with 7-5 Victory over RiverDogs - Hickory Crawdads
- Vavra Provides the Offense; Bush Pitches a Gem - Asheville Tourists
- King of the Cage Fight Rescheduled for Monday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Notes (May 13) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.