Seven Run Inning Lifts Pit Spitters over Growlers in Game One
Kalamazoo, MI - In the first Northwoods League playoff game in Traverse City franchise history, the Pit Spitters were powered by a Chad Patrick (JR Purdue Northwest) pitching gem and a seven run seventh inning to take game one of the first-round playoff matchup against the Kalamazoo Growlers. The Pit Spitters downed the Great Lakes East runner-up by a score of 8-1 and will return home, needing just one additional win to advance to the Division Championship round.
The contest had the makings of a pitcher's duel early as Pit Spitters starting pitcher Chad Patrick and Growlers hurler JT Rogoszewski traded zeroes through the first six frames.
The breakthrough would come for the Pit Spitters in the seventh inning when Mario Camilletti (SO Oakland) singled home Adam Proctor (SO Michigan State) and Riley Bertram (FR Michigan.) Andrew Morrow (JR Michigan State) then added an RBI triple and was followed by Christian Faust (SO Grand Valley) and Nick Powell (SO Ball State) who each belted RBI singles.
Patrick earned the victory by tossing seven innings, allowing just one run on three hits, while striking out four. He was followed in scoreless relief by Pat Hohlfeld (SO Jefferson) and Luke Little (FR San Jacinto.) Morrow and Faust each tallied three hits and Camilletti, Faust, and Powell each drove in two.
The Pit Spitters return home Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. for game two of the first round of the Northwoods League playoffs against the Growlers. It will be a "red out" at Pit Spitters Park, so fans are encouraged to wear red to the ballgame. The first 1,000 fans will receive Pit Spitters rally towels. Gates will open at 6:00 p.m. Tickets are available online at www.pitspitters.com or by calling 231-943-0100. Prices are $6 for lawn and $10 for box seats.
Complete Pit Spitters playoff in information is available at www.pitspitters.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Stingers Win Game 1 over St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Loss to Mallards Forces Decisive Game Two for Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Takes Game 1 of the 2019 Postseason - Eau Claire Express
- Growlers Drop Game One to Pit Spitters - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Seven Run Inning Lifts Pit Spitters over Growlers in Game One - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Open Playoffs at Home against Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Thank You, Fans - Bismarck Larks
- Division Rivals Square off for First Playoff Series - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Movie Series at Turtle Creek Stadium Is Extended Two More Weeks
- Family Movie Series Coming to Turtle Creek Stadium
- MacDaddies Win Championship
- Spitters Advance to Title Game
- Hometown Kids Lift Spitters to Victory