Growlers Drop Game One to Pit Spitters
Kalamazoo, MI. - The visiting Traverse City Pit Spitters tallied seven runs on five hits in the seventh inning to break the scoreless tie, cruising to an 8-1 win over the Kalamazoo Growlers at Homer Stryker Field Monday evening. The Pit Spitters take a 1-0 lead in the best-of-three series.
Both teams were held scoreless through the first six frames before the Pit Spitters posted a huge crooked number in the seventh to grab a commanding lead. The inning commenced with a two-run single by Mario Camilletti followed by Hudson Byorick scoring on a wild pitch. Andrew Morrow then drilled a RBI triple followed by a Christian Faust two-run single to make it 6-0. Nick Powell then capped-off the frame with a RBI single.
Kalamazoo got on the board in the bottom of the seventh courtesy of a sacrifice fly from Khale Showers (Northwood) to cut the deficit to 7-1. Traverse City added an insurance run in the ninth on a sacrifice fly as well to make it 8-1.
Traverse City starter Chad Patrick earned the win, improving to 5-4. Kalamazoo starting pitcher JT Rogoszewski (Central Michigan) took the loss, falling to 3-2. Rogoszewski allowed no runs in his first six frames of work before the Pit Spitters offense exploded in the seventh.
The Kalamazoo Growlers travel north tomorrow evening for game two of the series versus the Pit Spitters. First pitch is slated for a 7:05 p.m. start.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Stingers Win Game 1 over St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Loss to Mallards Forces Decisive Game Two for Rafters - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Express Takes Game 1 of the 2019 Postseason - Eau Claire Express
- Growlers Drop Game One to Pit Spitters - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Seven Run Inning Lifts Pit Spitters over Growlers in Game One - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Open Playoffs at Home against Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Thank You, Fans - Bismarck Larks
- Division Rivals Square off for First Playoff Series - Madison Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.