Sene Has Sights Set on Season Opener
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. "" Saer Sene has a refreshingly positive outlook for a player who recently had his breakout season cut short by an injury which is expected to sideline him for 6-8 months.
"This is soccer," Sene said with a shrug of the shoulders after completing a rehab session at Gillette Stadium on Tuesday morning. "You play soccer and sometimes you get injured, sometimes not, but I was unlucky. I got injured and I have to accept that and try to come back stronger."
Sene finished the 2012 campaign as the Revolution's runaway leading scorer with 11 goals despite missing the final eight games after suffering a torn left ACL on Aug. 29. The French striker underwent surgery approximately three weeks later and initial estimates predicted a return date somewhere between mid-March and mid-May.
But Sene has his sights set on beating the odds and returning ahead of the projected timetable. The Revs are likely to open the 2013 regular-season schedule in early March and Sene has established a goal to be fit and ready by opening day.
"How I talked with the doctors, we want to get me back for the first game," said Sene. "When I come back from the holidays I will run outside, start maybe passing with the team. I have time. I have all January, all February to get back in March."
The 26-year-old is progressing well in his rehab, having recently started running in the pool to build strength while limiting impact on the knee. Sene hopes to begin working outdoors with strength and conditioning coach Nick Downing later this month and aims to start running by early December.
Although he's pushing for the quickest possible return, Sene understands his rehab is a process and has already accepted he won't be able to join the Revs during their first preseason trip, likely set for late January. But Sene still holds out hope he'll be able to suit up for the season opener, and he's prepared to do whatever's necessary to make that happen.
"I'll work hard every day because the doctors said they want to get me back for the first game," said Sene. "Mentally, I'm ready. In my head, I know that I want to be back for the first game. I want to work hard and I will be working hard to get ready."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2012
- Round of 16 qualifiers announced for 2012 Latino del Año - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Will LA trio heal before second leg of Conference Championship" - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Wilhelmsson terrorizes Seattle in his finest showing in MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Jorge Vergara Holds First Press Conference as Chivas USA Owner - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sene Has Sights Set on Season Opener - New England Revolution
- Lucky's Pub to Host Official Dynamo Viewing Party for Second Leg of Eastern Conference Championship - Houston Dynamo
- One foot in MLS Cup" Not so fast, say guarded Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Four Academy Players to Represent Canada - Montreal Impact
- Heading into Winter Showcase, FC Dallas' U-16 and U-18 Teams a Combined 12-2-0 - FC Dallas
- Impact Wins 4-1 against Fiorentina Primavera - Montreal Impact
- This Week in MLS - Conference Championships Decided this Sunday - MLS
- More Than 17,000 Tickets Sold for Sunday's Eastern Conference Championship Match - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Participate in 2013 Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.