Jorge Vergara Holds First Press Conference as Chivas USA Owner
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (Tuesday, November 13, 2012) - Jorge Vergara held a press conference today for the first time since taking full control - along with Angelica Fuentes - of Chivas USA in late August.
The event began with a private breakfast in which Vergara addressed community representatives, sponsors of the club, politicians and fans in regards to the team's plans. Shortly after, the owner of the Red-and-White met with members of Chivas USA's supporters groups, where he answered some of the group's immediate concerns.
The day culminated with Vergara's press conference, in which he expressed his plans and mission of returning Chivas USA to its Chivas de Guadalajara roots. Vergara emphasized that the Goats would implement the same philosophy to that of Chivas'. In addition, he said the club's goal would be to improve its scouting - most notably of Mexican-American players in and around Southern California.
"We are going to improve our scouting of players and how we do it," said Vergara. "We have to take full advantage of the multi-cultural resources in this country. We need to get back to basics and identify talent in Southern California."
The businessman went on to say that plans to move into a new stadium are indeed in the works and that negotiations will continue.
"The thought is that within the next couple of years we will be in a new stadium."
Above all, Vergara stressed that Chivas USA got away from the original philosophy, and vowed to reintroduce the strategies that have led Chivas de Guadalajara to be the most successful club in Mexico to the Red-and-White.
"This is the return of the prodigal son," added Vergara. "From its inauguration, the plan was to make Chivas USA the son of Chivas de Guadalajara. Along the way it got away from that and the clubs suffered a divorce in philosophy and structure."
Vergara affirmed that the Red-and-White, with the help and supervision of Johan Cruyff - who will be actively involved in the search and selection of a new head coach - would implement a different, more exciting style and brand of soccer, similar to that which has been in place in Chivas de Guadalajara's 106-year history.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2012
- Round of 16 qualifiers announced for 2012 Latino del Año - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Will LA trio heal before second leg of Conference Championship" - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Wilhelmsson terrorizes Seattle in his finest showing in MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Jorge Vergara Holds First Press Conference as Chivas USA Owner - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sene Has Sights Set on Season Opener - New England Revolution
- Lucky's Pub to Host Official Dynamo Viewing Party for Second Leg of Eastern Conference Championship - Houston Dynamo
- One foot in MLS Cup" Not so fast, say guarded Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Four Academy Players to Represent Canada - Montreal Impact
- Heading into Winter Showcase, FC Dallas' U-16 and U-18 Teams a Combined 12-2-0 - FC Dallas
- Impact Wins 4-1 against Fiorentina Primavera - Montreal Impact
- This Week in MLS - Conference Championships Decided this Sunday - MLS
- More Than 17,000 Tickets Sold for Sunday's Eastern Conference Championship Match - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Participate in 2013 Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club Deportivo Chivas USA Stories
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Trio Called up to U.S. U-14 BNT Training Camp