Heading into Winter Showcase, FC Dallas' U-16 and U-18 Teams a Combined 12-2-0
FRISCO, Texas (Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2012) - FC Dallas' U-18 Development Academy team scored a 2-0 victory over the Colorado Rapids prior to the U-16 team defeating the MLS side's U-16 team, 2-1, on Saturday, Nov. 10.
FC Dallas' Under-18s kicked off the day with a shutout victory over the Rapids U-18s on Field 8 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Following a scoreless first half, forward Bobby Edet broke the deadlock in the 65th minute. The goal was set up by FC Dallas Homegrown player Kellyn Acosta.
"We had good possession and should have been up early in the first half," said FC Dallas Academy Coach Luchi Gonzalez. "The boys had a few opportunities that should have been put away. In the second half, Colorado began by playing very direct to goal. Our back line: Kris Reaves, Chris De Luna, Jordan Cano and Alejandro Dominguez stayed organized and managed to weather the storm. Midway through the second half, we were able to gain control of the ball and started to impose offensively, eventually creating the chance finished off by Bobby."
A native of Mesquite, Texas, the goal was Edet's team-leading sixth of the season.
FC Dallas' Victor Portillo added an insurance goal via counterattack in the 85th minute. Goalkeepers Caleb Underwood and Jesse Gonzalez each played 45 minutes as the team secured its third shutout to improve to 5-2-0 on the season. The team is currently in second place (15 points) in U.S. Soccer Development Academy's Central Conference, Frontier Division. FC Dallas trails only Sporting Kansas City (6-2-0, 18 points), which the U-18s defeated, 3-1, on Nov. 4. Both of FC Dallas U-18s losses were suffered in Colorado in late October.
"Our two losses in Colorado were a humbling experience but it allowed us to make some adjustments," Gonzalez said. "We have had two very good first halves in Colorado and two poor second halves. We were without one of our top players, Marco Carrizales, who suffered an injury a few games back but the other guys have been stepping up in his absence. The last two games have been our best so far this season."
Immediately following the U-18 match, FC Dallas' U-16s improved to 7-0-0 by defeating the Colorado Rapids U-16s, 2-1, on Field 8 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Forward Santiago Agudelo scored the game-winner in the 42nd minute, just two minutes after Colorado's Edward Venta-Yepes had tied the score, 1-1. The goal was Agudelo's ninth goal this season. Aaron Meyer scored FC Dallas' first goal in the seventh minute.
"We got an early goal from Aaron," said Gonzalez. "He scored on a free kick from long range. Then it started to snow really heavily. That really affected the game. The guys were not able to put passes together like they normally can. It became less of a soccer game and more of a physical battle. The tactics were pushed to the side and it was more about work rate, personality and being organized defensively. On the goal, Santiago was able to turn on his man and get off a low shot that got by the 'keeper, a very important goal."
The win keeps FC Dallas on top of the Development Academy's Central Conference, Frontier Division. FC Dallas (21 points) maintains a three-point advantage over Solar Chelsea SC (19 points). FC Dallas defeated Solar Chelsea SC in head-to-head competition, 3-2, on Oct. 13. Agudelo also scored in the 42nd minute of that match.
Both the U-16 and U-18 teams' next matches will be at the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Winter Showcase in Sarasota, Fla. The Winter Showcase runs Friday, Nov. 30 through Tuesday, Dec. 4.
"We've got one of the most difficult draws for the Sarasota showcase," said Gonzalez. "We play the New York Red Bulls first. New York is currently ranked first in the country. It's the returning group that won the U-16 Development Academy Championship last season. It is a very good team. They have a lot of youth national team players, but, what more do we want than to play the best."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 13, 2012
- Round of 16 qualifiers announced for 2012 Latino del Año - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Will LA trio heal before second leg of Conference Championship" - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Wilhelmsson terrorizes Seattle in his finest showing in MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Jorge Vergara Holds First Press Conference as Chivas USA Owner - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sene Has Sights Set on Season Opener - New England Revolution
- Lucky's Pub to Host Official Dynamo Viewing Party for Second Leg of Eastern Conference Championship - Houston Dynamo
- One foot in MLS Cup" Not so fast, say guarded Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Four Academy Players to Represent Canada - Montreal Impact
- Heading into Winter Showcase, FC Dallas' U-16 and U-18 Teams a Combined 12-2-0 - FC Dallas
- Impact Wins 4-1 against Fiorentina Primavera - Montreal Impact
- This Week in MLS - Conference Championships Decided this Sunday - MLS
- More Than 17,000 Tickets Sold for Sunday's Eastern Conference Championship Match - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to Participate in 2013 Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Falls to New York Red Bulls, 3-0
- FC Dallas Transfers Defender Anton Nedyalkov to Ludogorets
- FC Dallas Goes for Fifth Straight Win on Saturday against New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas Launches Hall of Fame Weekend Package & Hall of Fame Inductee Package
- FC Dallas Falls to Sporting KC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16, 3-2