Second Half Woes Sink Rapids
The Rapids came out rusty in their first match since September 23. Colorado held SKC scoreless in the first half thanks to solid play from goalkeeper William Yarbrough, but they couldn't maintain in the final 45 minutes. Four second half goals sealed the Rapids fate in Kansas City.
On Saturday night, the Colorado Rapids stepped on the pitch for the first time in over a month. They were rudely welcomed back by Sporting Kansas City as the home side dominated, finishing with a 4-0 win on a cool fall evening at Children's Mercy Park.
The Rapids spent most of the first half attempting to shake the rust off and fight back the Sporting attack. SKC had several good opportunities, but weren't able to find the back of the net. Colorado goalkeeper William Yarbrough had four saves in the first 45 minutes, parrying a blast from Johnny Russell off a free kick just outside the box and a knuckling shot from Alan Pulido.
Pulido, in his first game back following international duty with Mexico, was hungry for a goal and put his side on the scoreboard with his fifth shot of the night. The Rapids gave him a little too much space to move at the top of the 18, so the forward took a couple of dribbles, turned and took the shot through defender Lalas Abubakar's legs.
Center back Andreu Fontas added a second goal off a corner kick to register his first goal of the season and double Sporting's lead. In the dying minutes of the game, Gadi Kinda scored his sixth goal of the season and then Gerso Fernandes chipped Yarbrough in stoppage time to add a fourth and seal the win for the home side.
54' - SKC - Alan Pulido
67' - SKC - Andreu Fontas
88' - SKC - Gadi Kinda
90'+3' - SKC - Gerso Fernandes
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 24, 2020
- New York City FC Slugs Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Stretch Unbeaten Streak to Four, Draw Chicago Fire, 2-2 - New York Red Bulls
- Stoppage Time Schoenfeld Goal Gives MNUFC Three Points in Cincinnati - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United FC Tops FC Cincinnati 1-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Second Half Woes Sink Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 3 - 1 Montreal Impact - New York City FC
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against Atlanta United on the Road - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Orlando City SC 2-1 in Front of Limited Number of Season Ticket Members - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Drops 2-1 Decision at Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- New York City FC Confirm Positive COVID-19 Case - New York City FC
- LAFC Faces Rival LA Galaxy Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Extends Home Unbeaten Streak with 1-1 Draw against New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Revolution and Nashville SC Play to 1-1 Draw - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs