Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to D.C. United
ATLANTA - Atlanta United fell 2-1 to D.C. United Saturday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Jon Gallagher scored his fourth goal of the season and Brooks Lennon recorded his third assist.
D.C. United scored the game's opening goal in the 77th minute from Russell Canouse. Julian Gressel played a free kick from about 30 yards out into the box where Canouse was able to get in front of his defender and head the ball past Brad Guzan.
Atlanta found an equalizer in the 89th minute from Gallagher, as Lennon delivered a pinpoint cross from the right wing and found Gallagher making a run inside the box where he was able to head the ball in for his team-leading fourth goal of the season.
As Atlanta continued to push for a goal, Gelmin Rivas scored the game-winner for D.C. United in stoppage time, receiving the ball alone inside the box and turning to blast a shot into the upper left corner of the goal.
Atlanta United (5-11-4, 19 points) returns to action Wednesday, Oct. 28 at Orlando City SC (7:30 p.m., FS1, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 1, D.C. United 2
Shots: 11-9 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 6-3 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 3-2 DC
Fouls committed: 17-10 Atlanta
Clearances: 23-11 DC
Offside: 2-1 DC
Possession: 55.5-45.5 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 86-82 Atlanta
DC - Russell Canouse 77' (Julian Gressel)
ATL- Jon Gallagher 89' (Brooks Lennon)
DC - Gelmin Rivas 90+2' (Kevin Paredes, Joseph Mora)
DC - Yamil Asad 30' (yellow)
ATL- Ezequiel Barco 39' (yellow)
DC - Junior Moreno 86' (yellow)
ATL- Fernando Meza 90+1' (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; George Bello (Jake Mulraney 82'), Fernando Meza, Miles Robinson, Brooks Lennon; Mo Adams, Matheus Rossetto (Emerson Hyndman 68'), Marcelino Moreno; Ezequiel Barco, Cubo Torres (Adam Jahn 75'), Jurgen Damm (Jon Gallagher 68')
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Edgar Castillo, Jeff Larentowicz, Eric Remedi, Laurence Wyke
DC UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Bill Hamid; Chris Odoi-Atsem, Donovan Pines, Joseph Mora; Russell Canouse ©, Junior Moreno, Edson Flores (Yordy Reyna 79'), Yamil Asad, Julian Gressel (Oneil Fisher 87'); Ola Kamara (Gelmin Rivas 68'), Erik Sorga (Kevin Paredes 46')
Substitutes not used: Chris Seitz, Frederic Brillant, Griffin Yow, Moses Nyeman, Axel Sjoberg,
Armando Villareal, (referee), TJ Zablocki (assistant), Jose Da Silva (assistant), Sergii Demianchuk (fourth), Chris Penso (VAR).
Jon Gallagher scored his team-leading fourth goal of the season.
Brooks Lennon recorded his third assist of the season, which ties him for the team lead.
Marcelino Moreno led Atlanta with three shots on target
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 24, 2020
- New York City FC Slugs Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Stretch Unbeaten Streak to Four, Draw Chicago Fire, 2-2 - New York Red Bulls
- Stoppage Time Schoenfeld Goal Gives MNUFC Three Points in Cincinnati - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United FC Tops FC Cincinnati 1-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Second Half Woes Sink Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 3 - 1 Montreal Impact - New York City FC
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against Atlanta United on the Road - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Orlando City SC 2-1 in Front of Limited Number of Season Ticket Members - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Drops 2-1 Decision at Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- New York City FC Confirm Positive COVID-19 Case - New York City FC
- LAFC Faces Rival LA Galaxy Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Extends Home Unbeaten Streak with 1-1 Draw against New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Revolution and Nashville SC Play to 1-1 Draw - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Signs Jackson Conway as Homegrown Player
- Atlanta United to face Club America on Dec. 16 at 8 p.m. EST in 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinal
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves
- Atlanta United Announces Provisional Roster for Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery