Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo earned a vital point in the push for a playoff berth after drawing with Columbus Crew SC this evening at BBVA Stadium, 1-1.
Houston opened the scoring in the 37th minute when midfielder Memo Rodriguez followed his own shot and tapped in the rebound to make it 1-0. The midfielder took the first shot on the play with a first-touch effort off of a centering pass from forward Niko Hansen, who sent the ball into the box from the right flank.
Rodriguez's initial shot forced a save on Columbus goalkeeper Eloy Room, but the homegrown midfielder hustled to follow his shot and banged home the rebound, crashing into the net himself on the follow-through.
Columbus leveled the game in the 67th minute when midfielder Luis Diaz forced an own goal with a low, hard cross in front of the net that sent both Dynamo center backs sliding to cut it out. The cross deflected off the leg of defender Victor Cabrera and into the back of the net.
In the 74th minute, Hansen found a ball outside the box, dribbling and firing a hard shot on target that was deflected by the Columbus defense.
Goalkeeper Marko MariÃ¦ wasn't tested for long stretches of the match as Houston controlled the flow of play and limited Columbus to just eight shots and one on goal, but he came up big to prevent a late game-winner for Columbus when forward Youness Mokhtar forced the first save on the Dynamo goalkeeper in the 81st minute.
Houston's best chance at a winner came in the 89th minute when defender Jose Bizama, a second-half substitute, crossed a ball in the ball to find forward Darwin Quintero near the penalty spot. The Colombian playmaker blistered a shot toward the goal, but it passed just over the crossbar for a goal kick.
The draw allowed the Dynamo to keep pace with their fellow playoff hopefuls, leaving Houston tied for the final playoff spot with Vancouver and Real Salt Lake, pending their respective results later this evening. With three matches remaining in the regular season, the Dynamo next head to the West Coast to take on Los Angeles FC on Wednesday night. Kickoff for that match is set for 9:30 p.m. CDT, and it will be televised live throughout the Greater Houston area on QuestTEXAS Ch. 55 in English and TelExitos Ch. 47.1 in Spanish. The match may also be heard on radio in Spanish on Univision Radio 1010 AM.
Houston Dynamo (4-7-9; 21 pts.) 1-1 Columbus Crew SC (10-4-5; 35 pts.)
MLS Regular Season - Match 20
Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020 - BBVA Stadium - Houston, Texas
TEAM 1H 2H FT
Houston Dynamo 1 0 1
Columbus Crew SC 0 1 1
HOU: Memo Rodriguez 5 (unassisted) 37
CLB: Victor Cabrera (own goal) 67
Houston Dynamo: Marko MariÃ¦; Sam Junqua, Maynor Figueroa, Victor Cabrera (Jose Bizama 77), Zarek Valentin; Matias Vera, Memo Rodriguez (Boniek Garcia 59), Darwin Cerén; Darwin Quintero, Mauro Manotas (C), Niko Hansen (Ari Lassiter 75)
Unused substitutes: Cody Cropper, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Kiki Struna, TomÃ¡s MartÃnez, Wilfried Zahibo, Christian Ramirez
Total shots: 24 (Darwin Quintero 7); Shots on goal: 6 (Memo Rodriguez 3); Fouls: 11 (Marias Vera 3); Offside: 1 (Mauro Manotas 1); Corner kicks: 11 (Darwin Quintero, Memo Rodriguez 5); Saves: 2 (Marco Maric 2)
Columbus Crew SC: Eloy Room; Jonathan Mensah (C), Milton Venezuela, Harrison Afful, Aboubacar Keita; Darlington Nagbe (Aidan Morris 63), Pedro Santos (Jordan Hamilton), Artur; Emmanuel Boateng (Lucas Zelarayan 46), Derrick Etienne Jr. (Luis Diaz 63), Krisztian Nemeth (Youness Mokhtar 76)
Unused substitutes: Chris Cadden, Andrew Tarbell, Waylon Francis, Fatai Alashe
Total shots: 8 (Pedro Santos 3); Shots on goal: 1 (Youness Mokhtar); Fouls: 14 (Harrison Afful, Darlington Nagbe, Krisztian Nemeth, Lucas Zelarayan 2); Offside: 3 (Derrick Etienne 2); Corner kicks: 3 (Lucas Zelarayan 2); Saves: 5 (Eloy Room 5)
HOU: Memo Rodriguez (caution; foul) 22
CLB: Harrison Afful (caution; foul) 32
HOU: Matias Vera (caution; foul) 42
CLB: Aidan Morris (caution; foul) 84
CLB: Luis Diaz (caution; foul) 90+1
Referee: Joe Dickerson
Assistant Referees: Chris Elliot
Assistant Referee: Kevin Lock
Fourth Official: Elijio Arreguin
VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
Weather: 75 degrees, partly cloudy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 24, 2020
- New York City FC Slugs Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC - Houston Dynamo
- Red Bulls Stretch Unbeaten Streak to Four, Draw Chicago Fire, 2-2 - New York Red Bulls
- Stoppage Time Schoenfeld Goal Gives MNUFC Three Points in Cincinnati - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United FC Tops FC Cincinnati 1-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Second Half Woes Sink Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 3 - 1 Montreal Impact - New York City FC
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against Atlanta United on the Road - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Defeats Orlando City SC 2-1 in Front of Limited Number of Season Ticket Members - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City Drops 2-1 Decision at Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- New York City FC Confirm Positive COVID-19 Case - New York City FC
- LAFC Faces Rival LA Galaxy Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Extends Home Unbeaten Streak with 1-1 Draw against New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Revolution and Nashville SC Play to 1-1 Draw - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC Exercise 2021 Contract Options on 10 Players
- Houston Dynamo FC & Kroger to Offer Drive-Thru Flu Shots December 5 at BBVA Stadium
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Report for International Duty