Seattle Sets Roster for Saturday's Home Opener
SEATTLE -Â The Seattle Storm has finalized its roster for the start of the 2021 season, waiving three players and placing two others on the partial-season suspended list today in advance of Saturday's opener against the Las Vegas Aces.
The Storm waived forwardsÂ Kitija LaksaÂ andÂ N'dea JonesÂ and guardÂ Haley Gorecki. In addition, centerÂ Mercedes RussellÂ and guardÂ Epiphanny PrinceÂ will be inactive until theyÂ return to Seattle and clear protocols.
Seattle looks to defend its 2020 WNBA title with a solid core: Storm legendÂ Sue BirdÂ returns for herÂ 20thÂ season with the Storm, along with 2020Â Finals MVPÂ Breanna StewartÂ andÂ two-time All-Star guardÂ JewellÂ Loyd.Â The StormÂ also addedÂ three forwards this offseason via free agency and trades:Â Katie Lou Samuelson,Â Mikiah Herbert Harrigan,Â andÂ Candice Dupree.Â Dupree, who is entering her 16th season in the WNBA, ranks third among active players in career points (6,728) and ranks second behind Bird in games played (468).
Head CoachÂ Dan Hughes, who ranks second in the WNBA in games coached, returns to the sideline after missing the 2020 seasonÂ due to health concerns.Â He is just eight games shy of being the second person to coach 600 WNBA games.
The full roster can be found at https://storm.wnba.com/roster/.
Seattle opens the 2021 regular season presented by Symetra on Saturday, May 15, beginning its WNBA title defense with a Finals rematch against the Las Vegas Aces at 12 p.m. at Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett. The game will be broadcast nationally on ABC and feature the WNBA Championship ring ceremony presented by Baron prior to tip.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from May 13, 2021
- Four-Time Champion Seimone Augustus Retires from WNBA - Los Angeles Sparks
- Lynx Re-Sign Guard Linnae Harper - Minnesota Lynx
- Phoenix Mercury Announce Final Roster Ahead of 2021 Season - Phoenix Mercury
- Minnesota Lynx Finalize 2021 Roster - Minnesota Lynx
- Lynx Waive Selena Lott and Mikayla Pivec - Minnesota Lynx
- Sparks Announce 2021 Final Roster - Los Angeles Sparks
- Sparks Trade Sydney Wiese to Washington Mystics - Los Angeles Sparks
- Dallas Wings Announce 2021 Opening Day Roster - Dallas Wings
- Connecticut Sun Announce 2021 Broadcast Schedule - Connecticut Sun
- Mystics Acquire Sydney Wiese from Sparks - Washington Mystics
- Seattle Sets Roster for Saturday's Home Opener - Seattle Storm
- New York Liberty Announce 2021 Opening Night Roster - New York Liberty
- Atlanta Dream Waive Walker-Kimbrough, Cowling - Atlanta Dream
- New York Liberty Waive Asia Taylor and Jasmine Bailey - New York Liberty
- Chicago Sky Waive Brittany Boyd-Jones, Alexis Prince, Lexie Brown, Kobi Thornton and Natasha Mack - Chicago Sky
- 2021 WNBA.Com GM Survey: Las Vegas Favored to Win Championship - WNBA
- Minnesota Lynx Announce 2021 Broadcast Schedule - Minnesota Lynx
- Holly Rowe to Host New WNBA Show on SiriusXM - WNBA
- Atlanta Dream Names Pop'N Creative Agency of Record for the 2021 Season - Atlanta Dream
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Storm Stories
- Seattle Ends Road Trip 5-0 with 79-69 Victory over Indiana
- Big Three of Stewart, Loyd and Bird Lead Seattle to 87-70 Victory over Indiana
- Stewart Again Named WNBA Western Conference Player of the Week
- Storm Stays Undefeated on the Road with 89-66 Win over Connecticut
- Storm Take Second Straight Road Win over Atlanta, 86-75