Season-High 13 Hits Part of 5-1 Victory over BayBears
MOBILE, AL - It took just two batters for the Biloxi Shuckers (9-2) to take a lead in a 5-1 victory over the Mobile BayBears (4-6) on Monday night at Hank Aaron Stadium. The Shuckers recorded a season-high 13 hits, including eight for extra bases in the win.
Corey Ray and Troy Stokes Jr. combined to give the Shuckers the lead right out of the gate. Ray tripled to center field to start the game, and Stokes drove him in with a double down the left field line to make it 1-0. Jake Hager tallied another run for the Shuckers in the top of the second, slamming a solo home run to left field, his first of the season, to push the Shuckers lead to 2-0.
Biloxi would score again in the fourth inning with Hager right in the middle of the fray. Dylan Moore singled with two outs and swiped second base. Hager then roped a double into the left field corner, sending Moore home and extending the Shuckers lead to 3-0. It was the last of three runs allowed by BayBears starter Dylan Unsworth (0-2).
Blake Allemand greeted the first man out of the bullpen for the BayBears with a solo home run to start the sixth inning, his first homer of the season. The Shuckers concluded their scoring in the seventh, when Stokes tripled with one out and scored on a sacrifice fly by Lucas Erceg. Stokes Jr. finished the night 3-for-4 with two doubles, a triple, a RBI and a run scored. Hager came up a triple shy of the cycle, going 3-for-4 with a double, a home run, two RBI and a run scored. Ray, the seventh-ranked prospect in the Brewers organization, finished with his second three-hit night of the season, going 3-for-5 with a double, a triple and a run scored.
On the mound, starter Cody Ponce (1-0) picked up his first win of the season, tossing 5.2 innings. The right-hander shutout the BayBears for the first five innings of his start, and allowed his only run of the game on a sacrifice fly in the sixth. Nick Ramirez tossed 2.1 innings of scoreless work in his fourth appearance of the season, and Jon Olczak finished off the game by pitching 1.0 inning and allowing just one hit while striking out two. Shuckers pitchers did not face more than five batters in an inning the entire evening.
Game two of a five-game series is on Tuesday night at 6:35 pm. The Shuckers are scheduled to send RHP Luis Ortiz (1-0, 1.64) to the mound, while the BayBears have not named a starter. The game can be heard locally on Cruisin' WGCM 1240 AM/ FM 100.9, the MiLB First Pitch or TuneIn Radio.
Single game tickets for the Biloxi Shuckers 2018 season are on sale now and can be purchased at the MGM Park box office or over the phone through Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Season tickets, flex plans and group outings are also available and can be reserved by calling 228-233-3465 or visiting www.biloxishuckers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Clutch Hit Absent As Barons Fall 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Huge Tenth Inning Gives Smokies Extra Innings Win over Biscuits - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Walk-Off Jumbo Shrimp 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Atlanta Braves LHP Luiz Gohara to rehab for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Highly-Rated Pitching Prospect Griffin Canning Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Wahoos Snap Skid, Take Opener over Braves 8-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- IF/OF Andrew Velazquez Transferred to AAA Durham; IF Michael Russell to Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Pensacola 8-3 - Mississippi Braves
- Season-High 13 Hits Part of 5-1 Victory over BayBears - Biloxi Shuckers
- Down 4 After 5 Innings, Generals Pull It Off - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.