Lookouts Walk-Off Jumbo Shrimp 3-2
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (4-6) fell to the Chattanooga Lookouts (6-5) by a 3-2 score in the first game of the five-game series at AT&T Field on Tuesday night.
Chattanooga's Xander Wiel hit a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth off Jumbo Shrimp right-handed reliever Marcus Crescentini to give the Lookouts the win. Crescentini (0-1) took the loss for Jacksonville, and despite blowing a save in the top of the ninth, Lookouts right-handed reliever Todd Van Steensel (2-1) earned the win.
T.J. White gave the Lookouts their first lead of 1-0 with a solo home run in the bottom of the second. Jacksonville tied the game in the top of the fourth with an RBI double by Austin Dean that extended his hitting streak to nine games, and the hit scored Monte Harrison from third to tie the game 1-1. Nick Gordon quickly gave the Lookouts the lead back to begin the bottom of the fourth, with a home run to put Chattanooga back in front 2-1.
Trailing 2-1 entering the top of the ninth, Brian Schales began the Jumbo Shrimp comeback bid with a triple to straight away center field. After Rodrigo Vigil was hit by a pitch, Chris Diaz successfully executed a safety squeeze on his sacrifice bunt to score Schales from third to tie the game 2-2. Jacksonville eventually had two runners in scoring position with two outs in the ninth inning, only to see John Norwood strike out looking to end the frame. After Crescentini retired Gordon to start the ninth, Weil homered on the first pitch he saw to end the game.
All of Chattanooga's runs came off solo home runs. Jacksonville right-handed starter Cody Poteet had a no decision, pitching five innings where he allowed two runs (both earned) on five hits with a walk and three strikeouts. Chattanooga starter Zack Littell also had a no decision, going five and a third innings where he allowed a run on three hits with a walk ad eight strikeouts.
The Jumbo Shrimp and Lookouts will return to action tomorrow with a doubleheader of two seven-inning games, with the first game beginning at 5:15 p.m. tomorrow night. Fans can listen to the games on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 5 p.m. eastern with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on Sunny 102.3 FM, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Clutch Hit Absent As Barons Fall 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Huge Tenth Inning Gives Smokies Extra Innings Win over Biscuits - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Walk-Off Jumbo Shrimp 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Atlanta Braves LHP Luiz Gohara to rehab for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Highly-Rated Pitching Prospect Griffin Canning Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Wahoos Snap Skid, Take Opener over Braves 8-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- IF/OF Andrew Velazquez Transferred to AAA Durham; IF Michael Russell to Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Pensacola 8-3 - Mississippi Braves
- Season-High 13 Hits Part of 5-1 Victory over BayBears - Biloxi Shuckers
- Down 4 After 5 Innings, Generals Pull It Off - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.