M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Pensacola 8-3
PEARL, MS - The Mississippi Braves were defeated by the Pensacola Blue Wahoos by a final score of 8-3 on Monday night. The M-Braves returned home to Trustmark Park to host the Blue Wahoos in a five game home series after dropping their first road series of the 2018 season to the Biloxi Shuckers 4-1.
Pensacola didn't need long to warm up as they scored four runs in the top of the first inning off of M-Braves starter, Kyle Wright. Gavin LaValley started the scoring for Pensacola after he hammered a three-run homerun well over the left field wall to give the Blue Wahoos an early 3-0 lead. Pensacola would then add another run in the top of the first inning after Gabriel Guerrero doubled to right field scoring Scott Schebler.
With the score 4-0 in favor of the Blue Wahoos, M-Braves third baseman Austin Riley stepped to the plate in the bottom of the first inning and launched a mammoth shot high over the left field wall to give the M-Braves their first run of the game.
Mississippi starter, Kyle Wright exited the game after the first inning after allowing four hits, four runs, all earned, and one homerun, issued two walks and struck out one Pensacola batter. RHP Andres Santiago who returned to the M-Braves on Monday after a short stint with Triple-A Gwinnett, entered the game in the top of the second inning in relief of Wright. Santiago turned in his best performance of the season after logging 5.0 innings of scoreless relief. Santiago allowed four hits, walked one and struck out four.
Santiago also contributed with the bat as he provided the M-Braves with their second run of the game after roping a line drive RBI single to right field in the bottom of the fifth inning.
Mississippi trailed just 4-2 until Pensacola's offense provided a late surge in the top of the eighth inning. The Blue Wahoos scored four runs in the top of the eighth, extending their lead 8-2.
Mississippi managed to add a third run in the bottom of the ninth when Riley scored from third base on a fielder's choice from Tyler Marlette but the M-Braves would fail to add any runs after that. Mississippi and Pensacola will meet at Trustmark Park at 7:00 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, April 17 for game two of the five game series. RHP Touki Toussaint (0-1, 5.87) is scheduled to start for the M-Braves. Toussaint's counterpart will be Pensacola right-hander, Keury Mella (1-0, 0.82).
Tuesday night's contest will feature Two for Tuesday presented by Polk's Meat Products and WJTV 12 Getting You Answers.
Pensacola (5-6) 8 15 1
Mississippi (4-7) 3 7 0
Win: Daniel Wright (2-1)
Loss: Kyle Wright (0-2)
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Clutch Hit Absent As Barons Fall 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Huge Tenth Inning Gives Smokies Extra Innings Win over Biscuits - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Walk-Off Jumbo Shrimp 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Atlanta Braves LHP Luiz Gohara to rehab for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Highly-Rated Pitching Prospect Griffin Canning Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Wahoos Snap Skid, Take Opener over Braves 8-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- IF/OF Andrew Velazquez Transferred to AAA Durham; IF Michael Russell to Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Pensacola 8-3 - Mississippi Braves
- Season-High 13 Hits Part of 5-1 Victory over BayBears - Biloxi Shuckers
- Down 4 After 5 Innings, Generals Pull It Off - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Anderson, Harris Named Atlanta Braves Minor League Players of the Year
- Unroe, Kingham Named Final Farm Bureau Players of the Week
- Riley Unroe Named Southern League Player of the Week
- M-Braves Close Season with 3-2 Win over Lookouts
- Kingham Tosses Complete Game in Sunday's Win