Highly-Rated Pitching Prospect Griffin Canning Joins BayBears
MOBILE, Ala. - The Los Angeles Angels announced that right-handed pitcher Griffin Canning will join the Mobile BayBears from Class A Advanced Inland Empire. He is scheduled to make his first Double-A start Tuesday night at Hank Aaron Stadium against the Biloxi Shuckers.
Canning, 21, was selected by the Angels in the second round of the 2017 MLB Draft out of the University of California, Los Angeles. He recently made his professional debut on April 5 and started two games for Inland Empire. Canning pitched 8 2/3 scoreless innings, allowing just four hits and three walks while striking out 12 batters.
In his three years at UCLA, Canning went 19-13 with a 2.99 ERA and recorded 301 strikeouts in 291 1/3 innings pitched. He struck out 140 batters last season with the Bruins, the sixth highest total all-time in program history.
Canning is currently the Angels No. 4 pitching prospect behind Shohei Ohtani, Chris Rodriguez, and former BayBear Jaime Barria. The Mission Viejo, Calif., native is ranked No. 8 overall in the organization, according to MLB Pipeline, making him the highest-rated prospect on the BayBears roster.
In a corresponding move, right-handed pitcher Ivan Pineyro has been promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake. In two starts with the BayBears, he struck out 14 batters and only allowed one walk in 10 1/3 innings pitched, while holding opposing hitters to a .231 average.
Live coverage of Tuesday's BayBears game against Biloxi at 6:35 p.m. CDT can be seen on MiLB.tv (milb.tv) (subscription required, promo code: BAYBEARS) and heard on the BayBears Broadcast Network , the TuneIn Radio App , and the MiLB First Pitch App , with the Countdown to First Pitch starting at 6:15 p.m.
The BayBears host a total of 70 home dates through Labor Day, September 3. Single-game tickets and ticket packages are currently on sale. Season tickets and group and hospitality offerings for the 2018 season can be reserved by calling (251) 479-BEAR (2327).
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Clutch Hit Absent As Barons Fall 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Huge Tenth Inning Gives Smokies Extra Innings Win over Biscuits - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Walk-Off Jumbo Shrimp 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Atlanta Braves LHP Luiz Gohara to rehab for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Highly-Rated Pitching Prospect Griffin Canning Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Wahoos Snap Skid, Take Opener over Braves 8-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- IF/OF Andrew Velazquez Transferred to AAA Durham; IF Michael Russell to Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Pensacola 8-3 - Mississippi Braves
- Season-High 13 Hits Part of 5-1 Victory over BayBears - Biloxi Shuckers
- Down 4 After 5 Innings, Generals Pull It Off - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mobile BayBears Stories
- BayBears Snap Skid with Three-Hit Shutout of Blue Wahoos
- Thursday's BayBears Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather
- Pair of Two-Run Innings Push BayBears Past Biscuits
- Max Herrmann Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake
- Second Six-Run Inning of Season Lifts BayBears over Braves