Wahoos Snap Skid, Take Opener over Braves 8-3
Pearl, Miss. - The Blue Wahoos broke out their bats in the series opener with the Mississippi Braves pounding out eight extra-base hits in an 8-3 win. The victory snapped the Wahoos three game skid.
Gabriel Guerrero paced the offense with a four-hit game including three doubles. Gavin LaValley kick started the offense with a three-run homer in the first inning. It was one of two hits he had on the night. The Blue Wahoos plated four runs in the frame to open the game. It would be the first of two four-run innings on the night.
All of the first inning damage came against Braves number four prospect Kyle Wright (L, 0-2). It was his only inning of the game, which lead to his second loss of the season.
The second rally came in the eighth. Aristides Aquino led off the frame with a double and he scored a batter later on a Guerrero double. The Wahoos loaded the bases before Taylor Sparks singled home two more. Nick Longhi plated the final run with a sacrifice fly to centerfield.
The pitching also excelled for the Wahoos. Daniel Wright (W, 2-1) earned the win after going six strong innings. He allowed just one earned run (two total) with a walk and five strikeouts. Kevin Shackelford continued his rehab assignment with a scoreless inning and Carlos Navas finished the final two innings allowing just a late run in the ninth.
Scott Schebler doubled in his first at bat of the night, and finished the game 1-for-3 in his first game with the Blue Wahoos during his rehab assignment.
The Blue Wahoos and the M-Braves will continue the series Tuesday night. Keury Mella (1-0, 0.82) will start for the Blue Wahoos against RHP Touki Toussaint (0-1, 5.87) of the Braves. First pitch is set for 7:00 p.m. at Trustmark Park.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Clutch Hit Absent As Barons Fall 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Huge Tenth Inning Gives Smokies Extra Innings Win over Biscuits - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Walk-Off Jumbo Shrimp 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Atlanta Braves LHP Luiz Gohara to rehab for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Highly-Rated Pitching Prospect Griffin Canning Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Wahoos Snap Skid, Take Opener over Braves 8-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- IF/OF Andrew Velazquez Transferred to AAA Durham; IF Michael Russell to Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Pensacola 8-3 - Mississippi Braves
- Season-High 13 Hits Part of 5-1 Victory over BayBears - Biloxi Shuckers
- Down 4 After 5 Innings, Generals Pull It Off - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Blue Wahoos Stories
- Pelican Drop Returns to Kazoo's Rockin' Eve
- Blue Wahoos Announce Front Office Additions
- Blue Wahoos Announce New Affiliation Partnership with Minnesota Twins
- Blue Wahoos Stadium Plays Host to Several Halloween Events
- Blue Wahoos Executives Win Big; Take Home 2018 Organization of the Year