Clutch Hit Absent As Barons Fall 4-3
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Two late rallies came close, but not close enough for the Birmingham Barons (6-6), as they dropped their third straight game, 4-3 to the Jackson Generals (9-2) on Tuesday night at The Ballpark at Jackson.
Moments That Mattered: Barons starter Spencer Adams' night ended prematurely in the bottom of the fourth. After a close pitch was called a ball, Generals right fielder Galli Cribbs hit the next one for a double, barely beating the tag at second base. Unhappy with either call, Adams was ejected for arguing. Barons hitting coach Cole Armstrong came out to protest and was ejected as well. Adams finished with one run against on six hits with three strikeouts and one walk in 3.0 innings pitched.
Turning Point: Tito Polo got the Barons even in the fifth with a towering drive to center field that outfielder Jason Morozowski missed with a dive. Trey Michalczewski easily scored from third. Looking to give the Barons the lead, Polo was waved home by manager Ryan Newman, but was thrown out at the plate in search of an inside-the-park home run.
Facts And Figures: The Barons bullpen suffered its second consecutive loss after not losing once over the first 10 games of the season. The decisive runs came in the fifth off Colton Turner (L, 2-1) as Kevin Medrano scored on a ground out and Jamie Westbrook came home on a wild pitch. Ian Hamilton also surrendered a run in the bottom of the eighth as he tossed 2.0 innings out of the bullpen.
By The Numbers: Michalczewski recorded his third straight multi-hit game with a pair of doubles, but he couldn't come through in the crucial moment of the game as he grounded out with the tying run on third base and one out in the top of the eighth. Nick Basto then struck out as the Barons couldn't finish their comeback. Down two in the ninth, Matt Rose singled in a run, but was stranded on second base to end the game as Seby Zavala struck out.
Up Next: Game 3 of the series features a matinee on Wednesday morning. Jordan Stephens (0-1, 6.30) will start for Birmingham against Ryan Atkinson (0-0, 10.12). First pitch is scheduled for 11:05 a.m. Curt Bloom will have the call on 960 WERC News Radio and the iHeart Radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Clutch Hit Absent As Barons Fall 4-3 - Birmingham Barons
- Huge Tenth Inning Gives Smokies Extra Innings Win over Biscuits - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Walk-Off Jumbo Shrimp 3-2 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Atlanta Braves LHP Luiz Gohara to rehab for M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Highly-Rated Pitching Prospect Griffin Canning Joins BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Wahoos Snap Skid, Take Opener over Braves 8-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- IF/OF Andrew Velazquez Transferred to AAA Durham; IF Michael Russell to Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- M-Braves Drop Series Opener to Pensacola 8-3 - Mississippi Braves
- Season-High 13 Hits Part of 5-1 Victory over BayBears - Biloxi Shuckers
- Down 4 After 5 Innings, Generals Pull It Off - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.