Sea Dogs Trade Alex Grant To Shawinigan Cataractes
SAINT JOHN, NB --- Saint John Sea Dogs Head Coach/General Manager Jacques Beaulieu announced today that Team Captain Alex Grant has been traded to Shawinigan along with a fifth round entry draft pick in 2010 in exchange for 17-year old centre Danick Gauthier as well as the Cataractes' second round pick in 2009 and a first round selection in 2010.
"It was a difficult decision to trade Alex," said Beaulieu. "He has been a major part of the Sea Dogs for a long time and has done a lot for this franchise - both on and off the ice. We're excited to be adding Danick Gauthier to our roster, and we wish Alex all the best in all of his future endeavours."
Grant, 19, has played in 222 games for Saint John since being selected in the first round (first overall) of the 2005 QMJHL Entry Draft. The Antigonish, NS native was named the Sea Dogs' 2007-08 Investor's Group Top Defenseman and was also the recipient of the inaugural Children's Wish Foundation Fan Choice Award last year. Grant leaves Saint John as the team's all-time leader in scoring by a defenseman (40G-84A-124P). He signed an entry level contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins this past October after being selected by the Eastern Conference team in the fourth round (118th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
"Alex has been the face of this franchise for four years and we wish him the best of luck in his final months at the major junior level and in his future career as a professional hockey player," said Sea Dogs President Wayne Long. "He is a truly exceptional young man and we were proud to have him represent our organization throughout his tenure in Saint John."
Gauthier, 17, was selected by Shawinigan in the second round (26th overall) of the 2008 QMJHL Entry Draft. The 6'0', 176 lb. centre has recorded 10G-22A-32P in 21 games this season to lead his team, the Montreal AAA Canadiens (QCMAAA), in scoring.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from January 5, 2009
- Support the Troops Night January 9th - Moncton Wildcats
- Mooseheads acquire Pascal Amyot - Halifax Mooseheads
- Sea Dogs Announce Several Roster Moves - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Trade Alex Grant To Shawinigan Cataractes - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Grant traded to Cataractes; Néron to Remparts - QMJHL
- Stefanovich and Monast earn TELUS player of the week awards - QMJHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saint John Sea Dogs Stories
- Sea Dogs Hall of Fame Induction for Mike Thomas June 15th
- Sea Dogs Awarded First Overall Selection in 2019 QMJHL Entry Draft
- Saint John to Host Game 1 of 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series
- Campoli, Cajkovic and Deakin-Poot Big Winners at Year End Awards
- Rookie Power Launches Sea Dogs Past Titan 5-1