Santa Cruz Warriors Clip Salt Lake City Stars in Overtime Thriller
ORLANDO - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, traded leads with the Santa Cruz Warriors down the stretch and throughout overtime, but the Warriors came out on top with a 109-104 win on Saturday night.
The Stars would trail by 3 at halftime and by as much as 13 in the fourth quarter before mounting a comeback to take their first lead of the second half with just under two minutes to go on a Malik Benlevi layup. Both teams traded shots down the stretch before the Warriors' Jordan Poole would tie the game at 96 with five seconds left. The Stars would get a chance to end the game in regulation, but Benlevi's buzzer beating 3-point shot would rim out.
Yogi Ferrell led the way for the Stars in overtime scoring six of Salt Lake City's eight points in the two-minute period, but the Warriors would get seven points from Jordan Poole and 13 total points to hold on to the victory. Santa Cruz was 9-of-9 from the free throw line in overtime and finished a perfect 21-of-21 for the game.
Ferrell was the offensive star for the second consecutive game for the Stars, scoring a game-high 28 points, 16 coming in the second half and overtime, while adding five rebounds and four assists. Backcourt teammate Mike Scott had 18 points of his own while dishing six assists. Benlevi, Marcus Graves and Paul White all scored in double figures for the Stars off the bench. The Stars were strong defensively throughout the game, forcing 26 Warriors turnovers leading to 32 points.
Poole, the leading scorer in the NBA G League coming into the game, was held to just 19 points, but broke out late scoring 15 in the fourth quarter and overtime. The Warriors offense was a balanced effort with six players scoring in double-figures while starting guards Jeremy Lin and Nico Mannion were unable to play due to injuries.
The Stars play the second end of a weekend back-to-back on Sunday afternoon in the NBA G League single-site in Orlando. Tip-off against the Canton Charge is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. (MT) and is available to be streamed on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 20, 2021
- Santa Cruz Warriors Clip Salt Lake City Stars in Overtime Thriller - Salt Lake City Stars
- Warriors Beat Stars in Overtime, 109-104 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Shittu Leads Six Knicks in Double-Figures in Loss to Spurs - Westchester Knicks
- First Quarter Burst Earns Big Win for Vipers over Long Island - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Wolves Fall to Mad Ants in Double-OT Battle - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Top Iowa in Two Overtime Battle - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Acquire JJ Moore from Available Player Pool - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake City Stars Stories
- Salt Lake City Stars Complete 2021 NBA G League Season
- Salt Lake City Stars Comeback Falls Short against Magic
- Yogi Ferrell Scores 29 in Salt Lake City Stars Victory
- Salt Lake City Stars Comeback Falls Short against Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Salt Lake City Stars Shine Bright against NBA G League Ignite