Warriors Beat Stars in Overtime, 109-104
ORLANDO, FL - The Santa Cruz Warriors (4-3) beat the Salt Lake City Stars (1-6), 109-104, in overtime Saturday night. Golden State Warriors assignment guard Jordan Poole scored 15 of his 19 points in the fourth quarter and overtime and Santa Cruz was perfect from the line (21-21 FT including 9-9 in overtime) to earn their third straight win (2-0 in overtime this season).
With 1:51 left in the fourth, the Stars regained the lead for the first time since the 4:01 mark in the first quarter. The two teams went back and forth the final 90 seconds and were tied (96-96) with 5.1 second to go. Stars guard Malik Benlevi missed a three at the buzzer to send the game to overtime.
The Stars jumped out to an early 8-0 lead after the Warriors missed their first six shots of the game. Despite committing 15 first half turnovers the Warriors took a three-point lead into the half, 50-47.
The Warriors were without three starters Saturday night: guards Jeremy Lin and Nico Mannion along forward Dwayne Sutton. Santa Cruz had six players score in double-figures and forward Axel Toupane returned from injury to score 17 points and nine rebounds. Guard Isaiah Reese dished out seven assists and seven points in his first start of the season. Guard Nate Hinton and forward Kaleb Wesson each added 13 points off the bench.
The Stars scored 32 points on 24 Warriors turnovers. Tonight's game marked the first time the Stars have scored over 100 points this season. Guard Yogi Ferrell led all scorers with 28 points including 4-of-9 from beyond the arc.
Santa Cruz will face the Agua Caliente Clippers on February 22 at 4:00 p.m. (PST) on NBC Sports Bay Area. For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 20, 2021
- Santa Cruz Warriors Clip Salt Lake City Stars in Overtime Thriller - Salt Lake City Stars
- Warriors Beat Stars in Overtime, 109-104 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Shittu Leads Six Knicks in Double-Figures in Loss to Spurs - Westchester Knicks
- First Quarter Burst Earns Big Win for Vipers over Long Island - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Wolves Fall to Mad Ants in Double-OT Battle - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants Top Iowa in Two Overtime Battle - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Knicks Acquire JJ Moore from Available Player Pool - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Warriors Recall Jordan Poole and Transfer Nico Mannion to Golden State
- Warriors Beat Spurs 109-104 and Extend Win Streak to Eight
- Warriors Extend Win Streak to Seven Games with 108-88 Win over Nets
- Warriors Hold off Hustle and Extend Win Streak to Six, 116-111
- Warriors Beat Wolves and Earn Fifth Straight Win, 108-95