Santa Cruz Warriors Blow out Stockton Kings on Opening Night, 123-104
SANTA CRUZ, CA -The Santa Cruz Warriors nearly set a franchise record for first half points, and continued their hot shooting to start the 2018-19 season during a 123-104 win over the visiting Stockton Kings on Opening Night.
The Warriors scored 79 points in the first half, a well-balanced attack that saw ten players score on a combined 63.3% shooting from the field (31-of-49 FG) and a sizzling 75.0% from three (12-of-16 3FG). The Sea Dubs were only two points away from tying the team's first-half franchise scoring record of 81 points, which was set on January 23, 2015 against the Reno Bighorns, the Sacramento Kings G League affiliate before the team relocated to Stockton this summer.
Warriors two-way guard Damion Lee held team-highs of 28 points and eight rebounds. Santa Cruz guard Darius Morris scored 17 of his 19 points in the first half, including a buzzer beating fade away jumper to end the first quarter. Guard Will Cherry filled the stat sheet with 15 points, seven rebounds, five assists and two steals.
Stockton's Kalin Lucas led both teams with 29 points on 11-of 20 from the field (55.0 FG%), and forward Reggie Hearn, a teammate of Lee's on the USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team last February, had ten points and a game-high nine rebounds. Six players scored in double figures for Stockton tonight.
Santa Cruz built on their first-half proficiency to lead by as many as 37 points in the third quarter. But Stockton went on a 17-6 run towards the end of the period and brought the lead down to as few as 15 points. Santa Cruz was able to hold on thanks to solid fourth quarter minutes from Kendrick Nunn (six points) and Lee (five points, four rebounds), while guard Antonius Cleveland had a reverse baseline slam that ended #1 on the SportsCenter Top Ten.
Tonight was the first night that NBC Sports Bay Area has broadcast a Santa Cruz Warriors home game at Kaiser Permanente Arena. The team announced this week that all 24 Sea Dubs home games this season will be available live on NBC Sports Bay Area, the home of the back-to-back NBA Champion Golden State Warriors.
The Santa Cruz Warriors will now travel to Ontario, California for a quick away game against the Agua Caliente Clippers, the NBA G League affiliate of the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday night before returning to Santa Cruz on Saturday, November 10 to play the Iowa Wolves, the NBA G League affiliate of the Minnesota Timberwolves. Santa Cruz will be giving away 2018-19 season schedule magnets to all fans in attendance, courtesy of Lloyd's Tire and Auto. For information on tickets for Saturday night and all Warriors home games, please visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 8, 2018
- Raptors Clutch Free-Throw Shooting Ultimately Puts Knicks Away - Westchester Knicks
- Charge Power Past Red Claws - Canton Charge
- Charge Take Down Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Santa Cruz County Schools Receive Almost $1 Million in Additional Funding with Assist from MBEP Scholars and the Santa Cruz Warriors - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Welcome Revenge Opportunity, Defending Champs to Southaven on Opening Weekend - Memphis Hustle
- Raptors 905 Announce Broadcast Schedule - Raptors 905
- Wizard Night November 15 - Salt Lake City Stars
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Blow out Stockton Kings on Opening Night, 123-104 - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors to Host Three Hardwood Classics Nights
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Ryan Atkinson General Manager
- Santa Cruz Warriors Announce 2019-20 Season Schedule
- Santa Cruz Warriors Name Kris Weems Head Coach
- Golden State Warriors Sign Ky Bowman & Damion Lee to Two-Way Contracts