Santa Cruz Holds on in Final Minute to Beat Salt Lake City, 116-111
SALT LAKE CITY, UT - The Santa Cruz Warriors (2-4) beat the Salt Lake City Stars (1-3) Friday night at Vivint Arena, 116-111. The Sea Dubs were up by 26 points in the fourth quarter before the Stars came back and cut the lead to one point, 105-104, with 1:36 remaining. The Sea Dubs held off the Stars fourth quarter push to finish their first road trip 2-2.
Santa Cruz shot .530 (24-45 FG) from the field in the first half to gain an 18-point advantage over Salt Lake City, 61-43, through the first 24-minutes.
In the final minute of regulation, the Stars sent the Warriors to the line 12 times and the Warriors were able to convert 11 of those free throws to hold off the Stars for their second win of the Showcase Cup.
Warriors Forward Axel Toupane had his second straight 24-point game and added 10 rebounds for his third double-double of the season. Golden State Warriors Two-Way Guard Jeff Dowtin Jr tallied 22 points (8-18 FG). Guards Eddie Stansberry and Quinndary Weatherspoon both added 19 points off the bench.
Utah Jazz Two-Way Forward Malik Fitts had a game-high 27 points and Utah Jazz assignment guard Jared Butler added 26 points (4-9 3FG). Center Udoka Azubuike finished the night with a game-high 17 rebounds.
Santa Cruz will return home from their four-game road trip and play the NBA G League Ignite on Friday, November 26 at 7:00 p.m. PST at Kaiser Permanente Arena. Tickets are still available at santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 19, 2021
- Stars Come up Short against Warriors - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Holds on in Final Minute to Beat Salt Lake City, 116-111 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Long Island Nets Fall Short to Raptors 905 in Friday Night Matchup - Long Island Nets
- Greensboro Swarm Lose to Lakeland Magic - Greensboro Swarm
- Maine Turns Expo into Blowout City - Maine Celtics
- Knicks Garner First Win of the Season Versus Nets, 104-98 - Westchester Knicks
- Mad Ant Justin Anderson Named to USA World Cup Qualifying Team - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Stockton Kings Partners with Oasis Cares for Annual Turkey Distribution - Stockton Kings
- Important Update for Fans Attending a Greensboro Swarm Game - Greensboro Swarm
- Austin Defeats Mexico City Capitanes - Austin Spurs
- Clips Fall to Red-Hot Blue Despite Ibaka's Big Night - Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario
- Omoruyi's Big First Half Proves Too Much for Memphis - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Recognized as 2021-22 NBA G League Franchise of the Year
- Warriors, Kaiser Permanente and the Athletes' Corner Donate 53,310 Meals to Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz County Through Swishes for Dishes Initiative
- Santa Cruz Warriors Season Ends with Loss to South Bay Lakers, 134-123
- Warriors Assign Moses Moody to Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Closes out Regular Season with Overtime Win against Austin, 118-112