Santa Cruz Finishes Road Trip with a Win at Westchester
WESTCHESTER, New York - The NBA D-League Champion Santa Cruz Warriors (10-10) defeated the Westchester Knicks (13-6) 116-105 on Sunday at Westchester County Center. Four different Warriors had 20+ point scoring efforts in the victory over Westchester.
Santa Cruz's Daniel Orton notched a team-high 23 points on an 8-of-12 shooting effort to go with 8 rebounds. Daniel Nwaelele, Darington Hobson, and Verdell Jones III had 22 points apiece, while Ronnie Brewer added 13 points for the Warriors.
The Knicks were led by Jimmer Fredette who posted 27 points, 4 rebounds, and 6 assists. Thanasis Antetokounmpo scored 17 points on a 7-of-8 shooting effort in the loss.
The first quarter would see a hot-shooting start from Santa Cruz, advancing to an early 12-3 lead behind a balanced barrage from four different Warriors. Santa Cruz would extend its lead to as many as 9 points before the Knicks battled back to come within three points heading into the second frame.
A tightly-contested second quarter saw four lead changes and four ties behind stellar shooting efforts from both teams. The Warriors shot 79% from the field, with Verdell Jones III notching 9 points on a 4-of-4 shooting effort in the second. Both teams entered the break tied at 57 after a back and forth battle to round out the half.
The Knicks outscored the Warriors 30-20 in the third quarter to own a 10-point advantage heading into the final frame. The Warriors would respond by going on a 25-2 run to start the final period. Santa Cruz would never relinquish their lead for the remainder of the game.
The Warriors will return to Santa Cruz for the 2016 NBA D-League Showcase from Jan. 6-10. The Warriors will face the Iowa Energy on Jan. 8 at 7:30p.m. PST at Kaiser Permanente Arena. Fans can catch the game on the NBA D-League's YouTube channel, via www.santacruzbasketball.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 3, 2016
- L.A. Clippers Assign Branden Dawson to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester Knicks Bow out in Loss to Santa Cruz Warriors - Westchester Knicks
- Red Claws Fall in Wild Finish - Maine Red Claws
- Santa Cruz Finishes Road Trip with a Win at Westchester - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Atlanta Hawks Recall Hardaway Jr. from NBA Development League - Austin Spurs
- Heat Recall Richardson and Stokes from Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Vipers Acquire Matt Carlino - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Legends Charm Vipers - Texas Legends
- Jam Top D-Fenders 95-89 - Bakersfield Jam
- D-Fenders Fall to Jam at Home - Los Angeles D-Fenders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Recovery Resource Center at Kaiser Permanente Arena to Reduce Hours
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- Kaiser Permanente Arena to Become Recovery Resource Center for Victims Affected by the Czu Lightning Complex Fire
- Santa Cruz Warriors Awarded 2019-20 NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for Sea Dub Classics Program
- Santa Cruz Warriors Raise over $5,000 for Community Foundation Santa Cruz County COVID-19 Local Response Fund